Next Gen Imac Pricing

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

Just a question about the new Imac which we will "see on August 7th". I was hoping to buy a 24 inch Imac for $1,999.00. With the news of a new Imac being released sometime soon, I decided to hold it off.

Anyway, what I wanted to know is does anyone think the new 24 inch Imac would be significantly more expensive than the current model?

This is probably a dumb question but I would be interested to know what people think.

And also, when Imac G5 came out, was it a significantly higher price than the previous generation?

This might help answer my question.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    I doubt that Apple will raise the price of the 24" iMac unless they have a premium version with an LED screen.

Intel pricing for their latest chip appears to be about the same as the current models.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I think it'll cost 1 million dollars:

Nah it should be about the same I would think. Put it this way, if it's too expensive people just won't buy it and there are only two models now. Things might be different if they introduce a new smaller machine sort of cube-shaped but if they do you won't want an iMac anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Apple typically introduces new models to replace the existing ones at the same price points. With the rumors that the iMac is going from 3 lines to 2, there might be some adjustment. But since the same rumors also say that the reason they are going to 2 lines is because the price difference between a 17 inch and a 20 inch LCD is becoming negligible (for Apple), they are doing away with the lower model, I would guess that the 24 inch version will either stay the same or go down.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toastedpenguin View Post

And also, when Imac G5 came out, was it a significantly higher price than the previous generation?

This might help answer my question.

No, when the iMac G5 came out, it retained the same approximate price range. It began as:

$1299: 17" 1.6GHz/256MB/80GB/32VRAM/ComboDrive

$1499: 17" 1.8GHz/256MB/80GB/64VRAM/SuperDrive

$1899: 20" 1.8GHz/256MB/160GB/64VRAM/SuperDrive

So, as you can tell, the lineup back then looks like an older version of today, at about the same price point.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Cheers thanks alot. Doesn't look like it will get a lot more expensive then.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toastedpenguin View Post

Cheers thanks alot. Doesn't look like it will get a lot more expensive then.

No, it won't. On the contrary, during the last 5 years or so, Apple gradually lowered the iMac price, following the general computer component cost decrease.

And if there is no new expensive feature for the hardware, you can hope for a slight price reduction. Only thing that makes worry a little is the rumor about a new redesigned keyboard. But the the Macbook got a completely redesigned case and keyboard and the price remained the same.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

And if there is no new expensive feature for the hardware, you can hope for a slight price reduction. Only thing that makes worry a little is the rumor about a new redesigned keyboard. But the the Macbook got a completely redesigned case and keyboard and the price remained the same.

So you're worried about either the keyboard getting worse, or Apple making a keyboard whose manufacture would be much costlier than that of low end boards? The kb is pretty bad right now and Apple has a decent history of skimping - have no fear.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

So you're worried about either the keyboard getting worse, or Apple making a keyboard whose manufacture would be much costlier than that of low end boards?

About a more expensive one. But the Macbook example shows that most probably it won't happen.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

No, when the iMac G5 came out, it retained the same approximate price range. It began as:

$1299: 17" 1.6GHz/256MB/80GB/32VRAM/ComboDrive

$1499: 17" 1.8GHz/256MB/80GB/64VRAM/SuperDrive

$1899: 20" 1.8GHz/256MB/160GB/64VRAM/SuperDrive

So, as you can tell, the lineup back then looks like an older version of today, at about the same price point.

Which replaced the iMac (FP):

$1299: 15" 1.0GHz/256MB/80GB/32MB VRAM/Combo

$1799: 17" 1.25GHz/256MB/80GB/64MB VRAM/Superdrive

$2199: 20" 1.25GHz/256MB/80GB/64MB VRAM/Superdrive

So it cost Apple nothing more to deliver a 17" low-end but the cost of the high-end LCD had clearly dropped significantly.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Well, for some background info, I've been in Canada (Quetico Park) for the last weekish and I've missed a lot and am just starting to catch back up on the news. Did I miss something major with this August 7th deal, or are you all just wishful dreamers and teasers?