This is hysterical: "Fire" at FNC

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJaJkEjR8tY

As much of a douche bag as Shep Smith is, he was really funny during this clip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    You could tell that he enjoyed the opportunity to just wing it.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    did you see that flash up on screen, 'can a cat predict someones death' I just read about that here!

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortsharpscience/

thats pretty interesting! I want to believe
  • Reply 3 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

did you see that flash up on screen, 'can a cat predict someones death' I just read about that here!

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortsharpscience/

thats pretty interesting! I want to believe

I actually do believe this. Animals have amazing "capabilities" for lack of a better term. I'm sure there is scientific explanation...patient behavior (as the article mentioned), even a scent?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "Smells like dead people in here... meow."
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I actually do believe this. Animals have amazing "capabilities" for lack of a better term. I'm sure there is scientific explanation...patient behavior (as the article mentioned), even a scent?

oh come on, the correct explanation is that the cat can see a humans natural aura around the body (just like psychics do) and chooses to be there when the aura fades, just before death to release the soul, so the cat can get a glimpse of the soul going to heaven. Perhaps when whatshisname opens the pearly gates, the cat might even get a glimpse of God.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    (senescence and apotosis of cells prior to death releasing characteristic odors -- the cat is waiting to scavenge the body for meat -- it can't help its instinct)
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

oh come on, the correct explanation is that the cat can see a humans natural aura around the body (just like psychics do) and chooses to be there when the aura fades, just before death to release the soul, so the cat can get a glimpse of the soul going to heaven. Perhaps when whatshisname opens the pearly gates, the cat might even get a glimpse of God.

You forgot about the cat sucking the life force from the dying person's lips to then pour into it's mystical soul bowl.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I had a nephew who liked to bring home stray animals. Birds, squirrels, dogs or cats. My sister got a little frustrated with it all, but she put up with it. Usually the animals were either set free or put up for adoption at a local SPCA. One animal though, a cat, was my nephew's favorite. It was very quiet and shy towards everyone else in the family.

A few months later my nephew was struck and killed by a drunk driver as he walked home from work one night. That night was a horrible experience for my sister and her family. Identifying his body and talking with the doctors and police. The next morning my sister woke up and went into the bathroom to get ready to meet all the rest of our family at my other sister's house, plan what next to do and comfort each other.

Suddenly, the cat my nephew took in came into the bathroom. It gently brushed against her legs, then sat up on the toilet seat and watched my sister get ready. The cat suddenly started meowing in such a way that my sister felt like it was talking to her. She was surprised at first, but was comforted by the attention. From then on the cat never left her side in the house. She later gave the cat to my nephew's girlfriend.

I always wondered if it was my nephew in that cat that day.

And now for something completely different...The Infinite Cat Project.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

I had a nephew who liked to bring home stray animals. Birds, squirrels, dogs or cats. My sister got a little frustrated with it all, but she put up with it. Usually the animals were either set free or put up for adoption at a local SPCA. One animal though, a cat, was my nephew's favorite. It was very quiet and shy towards everyone else in the family.

A few months later my nephew was struck and killed by a drunk driver as he walked home from work one night. That night was a horrible experience for my sister and her family. Identifying his body and talking with the doctors and police. The next morning my sister woke up and went into the bathroom to get ready to meet all the rest of our family at my other sister's house, plan what next to do and comfort each other.

Suddenly, the cat my nephew took in came into the bathroom. It gently brushed against her legs, then sat up on the toilet seat and watched my sister get ready. The cat suddenly started meowing in such a way that my sister felt like it was talking to her. She was surprised at first, but was comforted by the attention. From then on the cat never left her side in the house. She later gave the cat to my nephew's girlfriend.

I always wondered if it was my nephew in that cat that day.

It's just terrible to be reminded about how much destruction can be wrought by a drunk driver, or anyone out of control in their car.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

And now for something completely different...The Infinite Cat Project.

If there was a vial of poison in that monitor released by an electron striking the left hand side of the screen, which cat gets it? and which cat takes the measurement to discover if the cat was dead or alive?

that site reminds me, when I had a little kitten, I used to torture it in cinema 4d when it jumped up on the desk by rapidly spinning the models around the screen.

Until it clawed my LCD
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

(senescence and apotosis of cells prior to death releasing characteristic odors -- the cat is waiting to scavenge the body for meat -- it can't help its instinct)

just curious...is there really a massive die off of cells just prior to death? I would have thought that happened shortly afterwards.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    So when did this thread degenerate into a discussion of pussy?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

just curious...is there really a massive die off of cells just prior to death? I would have thought that happened shortly afterwards.

probably?

No one really studies death in higher organisms...
  • Reply 14 of 17
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    One would think that a person is only considered dead when the cells that that person consists of die. It would seem that many cells would be dead before a person is actually considered dead. Otherwise, there is no reason to consider that person dead (or even dying).
  • Reply 15 of 17
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Shep is AWSOME! Kind of odd seeing him now, since I was used to him on Channel 6 in Orlando, where he had to the report in a less florid manner.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

One would think that a person is only considered dead when the cells that that person consists of die. It would seem that many cells would be dead before a person is actually considered dead. Otherwise, there is no reason to consider that person dead (or even dying).

yes, but I bet the vast majority of cells are still alive when you die, only to die shortly after what we would consider death.

Interesting, I wonder what the catalyst is that causes someone to die naturally at a given moment. Does the body sense it has passed a point of repair and 'trigger' the death of the rest of the cells. It does seem odd that you can be dying for a very long time, then just go, when you're not really any worse than you were a month ago.

Do you hang on to life until you have resigned yourself to the fact you are going to die? Then when at peace with it, you just will yourself to go?

I think maybe people know when theyre going to die, when I was a lad!... My fathers uncle lived in a kind of farm IIRC, the story goes, that outside it was always a bit of a mess. The day before he died he cleaned every last piece of junk from his property. Cut the grass etc, made it all presentable. Next day, passed away.

Either he knew his time was up, or the work killed him.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Really this definition of death is the best for humans. However it's a very controversial subject, and has been since medical advances which were able to artificially support a heart beat.