ZFS file system

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

can someone please clarify something about the ZFS file system that is/will be included in MAC OS ?

Quote:

ZFS is a 128-bit file system, so it can store 18 billion billion (18.4 × 1018) times more data than current 64-bit systems. The limitations of ZFS are designed to be so large that they will not be encountered in practice for some time.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zfs#Storage_pools

Does this means, that I will be able to store MORE data on a same physical hard drive ?

Like 2000000 ZFS gigas on my current NTFS 200 gigas disk ?

Cordially,

Brakkar

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brakkar View Post

Hi,

can someone please clarify something about the ZFS file system that is/will be included in MAC OS ?

Does this means, that I will be able to store MORE data on a same physical hard drive ?

Cordially,

Brakkar

No, I'm afraid not. The quote you cited merely means that ZFS can deal with larger drives than other file systems, should the hardware become available. (ZFS also lets you pool multiple drives together so they appear as one, so I guess the technology has practical use even though such large individual drives are not yet available.)

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 13
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brakkar View Post

H

Of course not. You need the necessary physical storage for this to work.

It is analogous to what happens with 64-bit processors and memory. Such a processor can address much more than 4 GB of memory, but if you only have 2 GB installed, there is no way to go beyond the physical limit (2 GB in this case).
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

... but if you only have 2 GB installed, there is no way to go beyond the physical limit (2 GB in this case).

Not quite. Your can easily address much more than of 2 GB memory through virtual memory. Your larger point is, however, correct. There is no counterpart to virtual memory for hard drives. Therefore, you are limited by the physical capacity of your hard drive irrespective of your file system.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Not quite. Your can easily address much more than of 2 GB memory through virtual memory.

Yes, it is true. I just had in mind the physical limitations. Thanks for pointing out.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i think i'm right in thinking that zfs is an unconfirmed feature of leopard. i for one hope it'll be in there, but hard to know..
  • Reply 6 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i think i'm right in thinking that zfs is an unconfirmed feature of leopard. i for one hope it'll be in there, but hard to know..

It was confirmed read-only. This would mean no change of default filesystem. We'll have to wait and see how ZFS development progresses though. It may be wise to hold off until it gets thorough real worlds testing in servers before dropping it on consumers.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It was confirmed read-only. This would mean no change of default filesystem. We'll have to wait and see how ZFS development progresses though. It may be wise to hold off until it gets thorough real worlds testing in servers before dropping it on consumers.

i don't understand how a file system can be used read-only \ could someone explain?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i don't understand how a file system can be used read-only \ could someone explain?

That means you can view/copy data from external disks formatted using said filesystem, not much else, no saving/deleting/creating files.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

That means you can view/copy data from external disks formatted using said filesystem, not much else, no saving/deleting/creating files.

so any files would have to be created using solaris?... i see. not of much use to the home user, eh
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Not quite. Your can easily address much more than of 2 GB memory through virtual memory. Your larger point is, however, correct. There is no counterpart to virtual memory for hard drives. Therefore, you are limited by the physical capacity of your hard drive irrespective of your file system.

Since data on drives can still be read after it has been deleted (by talented hackers that is), could one not theoretically create a program that could be used to delete and write over a file but still access it creating virtual disk space? I realize that this is hardly feasible for many reasons, but the key word is theoretically.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Another little bitty detail about ZFS, it can not (yet) be used for a boot drive. So far, it is for storage only.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

could one not theoretically create a program that could be used to delete and write over a file but still access it creating virtual disk space? I realize that this is hardly feasible for many reasons, but the key word is theoretically.

The way that people can recover deleted files is simply because they haven't been overwritten. No matter what you do, the number of bits that can store info is limited.

The only way to get more storage from a disk is to use on-the-fly compression. You get it with the Windows filesystems. I don't know how reliable it is or how much of a performance hit it takes though. I would imagine that given how fast our processors are these days, it might make more sense to use it and that way it cuts down the amount of data needed to write to the drive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy

so any files would have to be created using solaris?... i see. not of much use to the home user, eh

There is a ZFS read/write component for Leopard but it's currently not bundled with the system, you have to download it. It's a kernel extension so installing it would allow read/write. I really wish they had an NTFS one though.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post

Another little bitty detail about ZFS, it can not (yet) be used for a boot drive. So far, it is for storage only.

Not true (sorta): http://opensolaris.org/os/community/...es/2007032801/

Solaris can boot from ZFS on the x86 platform. SPARC is coming. Regardless, as I understand it, that isn't a limitation of the file system itself. It's a problem with the boot loader and the OS.

Personally, I think ZFS is going to have to wait for OS 10.6.