Where are the LED Cinemas?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
To buy now... or to wait... I need some advice from someone who is savvy with LED vs CCFL, and if it really matters on the user end.

I've been looking around for the last couple of months to find a single bit on news on Cinemas moving to LED. Not a whole lot out there regarding the next gen. I have heard all the LED pros and few cons... principally my concern is the display retaining brightness longer into its lifetime than with CCFL displays.

I've heard that the larger (30"+) LEDs are still very expensive to manufacture, but cannot find much recent news on when that switch will be made for the ("greener") Apple.

So... what do you folks think- LED Cinemas at or around Leopard/next MacPro bump, or are we looking into 2008?

Is the technology an advance worth waiting for?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubelum View Post

I've heard that the larger (30"+) LEDs are still very expensive to manufacture...

I was under the impression that larger (17"+) LEDs are still very expensive to manufacture... which is why you can only get the 15" MBP with the LED display. I would guess that this means that you'll be waiting for quite some time for LED cinema displays.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Yea... that is kinda the impression I am getting. I don't buy hardware very often and I can definitely tell that my ACD 23"HD has lost a LOT of its brightness... which I understand is the rule among aging CCFLs.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I don't expect to see L.E.D. cinema displays until the second half of calendar 2008.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I don't expect to see L.E.D. cinema displays until the second half of calendar 2008.

• Reply 5 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm getting the same impression... Apple has not exactly been setting the world on fire with the rate of product introductions.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Yeah the cinema displays I think are what you see is what you get for professional use so it's simple, elegant, 30" is nice, etc. etc. I think it is worth considering alongside some other brands around. But yeah given the current absolute lusting after the 15" LED, I think Cinema Displays LED will be nice but mid-2008 is more a reasonable estimate. Apple will want to move to an all-LED lineup (for enviro reasons too... at least) by end of 2008. IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm getting the same impression... Apple has not exactly been setting the world on fire with the rate of product introductions.

It doesn't really have much to do with Apple - they are restricted by what the panel manufacturers are producing.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple has to wait for usable products to actually exist before they can put them in a product.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Now how do you feel about those comments, with the Mac product event announced?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    It is very tantalising, gawd if they somehow secured enough capacity to LED-backlight the whole new Cinema Display range... that would frickin' blow the pro- corporate- and prosumer- display market apart. Must... not... get... hopes... up... lest it get crushed like your 3am buzkill when you notice your girlfriend/boyfriend suddenly making out with some random girl/guy/both....