Heavy duty DVD burner

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The laser on my Mad Dog external burner has weakened after only 6 months. (I do a lot of burning.)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a longer lasting unit?

Thanks, iSteve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hammer7 View Post

The laser on my Mad Dog external burner has weakened after only 6 months. (I do a lot of burning.)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a longer lasting unit?

Thanks, iSteve

The laser "weakened?" I don't know what that means. Anyway, forgive the Wal-Mart link, but maybe something like this?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...30660804302498
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hammer7hammer7 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The laser "weakened?" I don't know what that means. Anyway, forgive the Wal-Mart link, but maybe something like this?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...30660804302498

The lasers seem to wear out. This is my 3rd unit. Previous internal DVDs lasted 1 year each. I have a G4 iMac so replacing internal is not really an option. I had heard LaCie are good, but notice in your link they are sold out.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hammer7 View Post

The lasers seem to wear out. This is my 3rd unit. Previous internal DVDs lasted 1 year each. I have a G4 iMac so replacing internal is not really an option. I had heard LaCie are good, but notice in your link they are sold out.

Try Newegg.com.

Pardon this, but again..how does a laser "wear out" and how do you know it? I've never heard of that.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Yes, Newegg. If you grab an internal drive, a little screwdriver skill will get that new internal into the shell of the old external, and you'll be up and running without buying a whole new unit.