after re-installing OS X in target mode

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK...well first I had a problem with my iMac because the the OS was corrupted and I couldn't boot from the retail install disc of OS X- tiger

I was able to connect to another MAC with Target disk Mode, the working mac was the host and the iMac I have the problem with was the target computer, I was able to use disk utility and erase the hard drive of the non-functioning MAC and then re-install on the the drive of the Non-functioning MAC, however after the Host booted back up like the new one then I restarted both MACS and removed the fire wire cable The non-functioning MAC just boots up with a flashing question MARK now.

now I tried all those restart PVRAM and all that what else do you think I can do

thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,018member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grabi View Post

OK...well first I had a problem with my iMac because the the OS was corrupted and I couldn't boot from the retail install disc of OS X- tiger

I was able to connect to another MAC with Target disk Mode, the working mac was the host and the iMac I have the problem with was the target computer, I was able to use disk utility and erase the hard drive of the non-functioning MAC and then re-install on the the drive of the Non-functioning MAC, however after the Host booted back up like the new one then I restarted both MACS and removed the fire wire cable The non-functioning MAC just boots up with a flashing question MARK now.

now I tried all those restart PVRAM and all that what else do you think I can do

thank you

Sounds like a bad HDD to me. What happens when you try to boot from the DVD?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Please, I beg you, don't refer to a Mac as a MAC.

MAC = Media Access Control.

Mac = Macintosh.

Installing on one type of Mac from a different type of Mac is not a great idea. Also, the fact that the iMac won't boot from CD is a bad sign. Do you live near an Apple Store or third-party Apple reseller?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grabi View Post

thank you

Give us exact models. Did the iMac have a PowerPC processor, like a G4 or G5, or an Intel Core processor? Same with the host Mac.

See, if one was a PowerPC and the other was an Intel, this problem will occur, since Intel and PowerPC installs are non-compatible with each other. The disc installs OS X based on the machine that actually boots from the DVD, not the one receiving the install. If, for instance, the host was a PowerBook G4, then you installed a PowerPC version of OS X onto a machine with an Intel processor.

If both machines are using the same architecture (both Intel or both PowerPC), then make sure you install a version of the system that is greater than or equal to the version that shipped with it. For instance, a 10.4.0 disc will not boot or install on an iMac G5 (iSight), because that machine came with 10.4.2. No Mac can boot from a system install older than the one it shipped with.

If this isn't the case either, wipe the drive and try again. If THAT doesn't work, look into bad hardware.