Selling my iMac on eBay

padpad
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi just wanted a bit of advice. I want to sell my iMac on eBay to buy a new Mac.

Here are the specs:

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

512 MB RAM

160GB HDD

Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.10

Apple wired keyboard

Apple wired Mighty Mouse

Apple Front Row remote

It's in perfect condition.

Currently partitioned with Tiger on 130GB worth of the HDD and genuine Windows XP SP2 on 60GB worth. Would I sell with this or just totally reformat?

How much would you sell this for? Preferably could you state in GBP£, but if you cannot dollars should be fine too. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pad View Post

Currently partitioned with Tiger on 130GB worth of the HDD and genuine Windows XP SP2 on 60GB worth. Would I sell with this or just totally reformat?

How much would you sell this for? Preferably could you state in GBP£, but if you cannot dollars should be fine too. Thanks in advance.

Unless you plan on giving the purchaser your XP key and install discs, I'd advise against selling it with it. A good place to look an estimated cost of a Mac is here: Mac2Sell.net

I recently saw it on these forums and it seems to be a pretty nice little website.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Hi just wanted a bit of advice. I want to sell my iMac on eBay to buy a new Mac.

Here are the specs:

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

512 MB RAM

160GB HDD

Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.10

Apple wired keyboard

Apple wired Mighty Mouse

Apple Front Row remote

It's in perfect condition.

People don't like to buy machines with 512MB Ram, it's an immediate turn off. What I would do is order this from Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpar...EF274FA5CA7304

and install it before selling. It takes one day to arrive and they just go in the bottom under the screen - there is a little hatch with 3 screws. Turn it off, unplug it, put it face down on a cloth and open the hatch.

Is it the 17" model (I can't recall if they made a 20" Core Duo 1.83) because if so that would go for about £700 new so aim for £550. If it's the Core Duo model and not the newer Core 2 Duo, possibly slightly less but I think you'd get £550.

Quote:

If you're not concerned about people recovering any of your information you can leave it but if you've ever had credit card info or online banking info on your computer at any time, it would be safer to zero the drive and reinstall. The dual boot setup would be a selling point so I'd probably reinstall bootcamp and XP.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Always start an eBay auction at 99p*. Start it on late Thursday afternoon with a 10 day duration, so that it ends on late Sunday afternoon. Include decent photographs of the actual kit (i.e., not Apple promotional stuff), and say if you have original packaging and/or manuals.

*Unless you expect the final price to be less than 99p!