Rate my Rig - PrePurchase Jitters

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all. I'm about to invest a bundle into a new setup for my office (I work in commercial real estate but enjoy dabbling with lots of technologies ranging from programming to video editing) and was hoping to get a bit of advice as to any ways to improve the machine configuration I'd like to purchase. I'm open to any suggestions you may have as to how to get more value from my purchase, whether it be through upgrading or downgrading aspects...without further ado, here is what I'm thinking:

Mac Pro: 'Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon' - My gut tells me this is fast enough, based on the how my 2 gigahertz intel imac performs...and the xeon chip is superior as right? Meanwhile I've heard that the quad-core chips really don't offer a big advantage for people who aren't using very specific programs?

2 or 4 gb of ram (I can't decide, what do you think? It costs about $400 to upgrade from 2gb...also is there a good reason why apple doesn't let people order '3 gigs' ?

250GB 7200-rpm drive. I only have 150gb at home and generally don't fill it up often...though isn't 7200rpm kinda slow?

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $249] - In the future I'd like to get a 2nd 30" ACD so I think this is the best card...though realistically, can this card drive two 30" monitors without getting its ass kicked?

Apple Cinema HD Display 30 Inch - From what I've been able to google, there really isn't anything else on the market that is vastly superior in this size. Supposedly I could save a couple hundred by getting a dell monitor that has basically the same stuff on the inside, but I would prefer to just deal with apple unless someone else has a way better product. I heard lacie might have some wicked monitors, but couldn't find a 30"?

1 Superdrive

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme

Absolutely any advice on any of these components would be most appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbeard View Post

Mac Pro: 'Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon' - My gut tells me this is fast enough, based on the how my 2 gigahertz intel imac performs...and the xeon chip is superior as right? Meanwhile I've heard that the quad-core chips really don't offer a big advantage for people who aren't using very specific programs?

With what you suggested as your "usage" for the machine the two dual cores will be more than you need. Theres very few things you may use that will support what you get in those two processors let alone two quad cores. Its always better but unless your going to do some hardcore video editing or massive programming your fine.

Quote:

2 or 4 gb of ram (I can't decide, what do you think? It costs about $400 to upgrade from 2gb...also is there a good reason why apple doesn't let people order '3 gigs' ?

Apple probably just wants to sell sticks of 2 gigs so you get 2 or 4. As for putting in your own gig stick thats up to you. I havent looked at the RAM that comes in the MacPro but im sure if you want 4 gigs then you can buy a cheaper 2 gig stick from somewhere else (because ram upgrades from anywhere are horrendous on price). If money isnt the issue I always say the more RAM the better, but agian as Ill comment on other things its a preference for how hardcore of things youll do. For the video editing and programming then yeah slap in 4 gigs, if your not doing super intensive stuff besides recreational things then 2 gigs will get you by. I find 2 gigs is enough for me.

Quote:

250GB 7200-rpm drive. I only have 150gb at home and generally don't fill it up often...though isn't 7200rpm kinda slow?

Hrrm maybe you dont video edit as much as you think you do. 150 hardly ever filled is like wow, unless you only work one thing at a time. Personally Id say I do crap video editing and more things for fun and when Im working things Ill fill me 320 external with 40-50 gigs of my regular HD,that has the portion of my timelines that im working on at the time, while im working on portions of a project or two. The HD speed is a must, cant say I see to may HD over 7200rpms,(but I could be blind) always check the speed when looking at size. If your going to do the video editing that the base MacPro can do then a 250 gig is undershooting some and Id go for 500gigs minimum. Its always nice to try those huge editing things on a Practice project before finalizing it.

Quote:

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI) [Add $249] - In the future I'd like to get a 2nd 30" ACD so I think this is the best card...though realistically, can this card drive two 30" monitors without getting its ass kicked?

Im partial to ATI. Nvidia makes a great product for everyone but me. I am the rare exception that has bought every 1/100,000 cards that is a lemon from the start from Nvidia. The two cards should run the two monitors fine. Although you may want to wait and see if the Newer ATI and Nvidia's are offered soon with the MacPro so that you get a more up to date card since the 1900 XT is going on like 6 months, if im not mistaken.

I cant comment on Apple cinema displays, havent used them and dont have any friends that have either.

Super drive, no brainer if you ask me.

Quote:

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme

Im mixed on the Bluetooth on desktops unless your thinking of bluetooth speakers or some other cool audio gizmos.

Just some food for thought.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Typically, someone needing that much machine will be better served with more than 2GB of RAM. But you'll want to check elsewhere online for a good deal on that memory. I haven't checked recently but Apple almost never offers good deals on bundled components such as memory.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EasyC View Post

With what you suggested as your "usage" for the machine the two dual cores will be more than you need. Theres very few things you may use that will support what you get in those two processors let alone two quad cores. Its always better but unless your going to do some hardcore video editing or massive programming your fine.

That's my first though too, but when it comes to processor, I always say buy more than you need. It's not realistic to upgrade this later, not for most people. Maybe go with the 3GHZ dual core. Then there will be no question he has enough horsepower for several years to come.

Quote:

Apple probably just wants to sell sticks of 2 gigs so you get 2 or 4. As for putting in your own gig stick thats up to you. I havent looked at the RAM that comes in the MacPro but im sure if you want 4 gigs then you can buy a cheaper 2 gig stick from somewhere else (because ram upgrades from anywhere are horrendous on price). If money isnt the issue I always say the more RAM the better, but agian as Ill comment on other things its a preference for how hardcore of things youll do. For the video editing and programming then yeah slap in 4 gigs, if your not doing super intensive stuff besides recreational things then 2 gigs will get you by. I find 2 gigs is enough for me.

My recommendation would be to get the 2 gigs, and put in the other two on your own. You can get a 2GB stick for less than $200. This is one thing that's easy, so it's not a huge deal. My issue though is that 2GB has become pretty standard for prosumers. I have 2GB in my MBP, and while it's enough, it's not total overkill either.
    Quote:

Hrrm maybe you dont video edit as much as you think you do. 150 hardly ever filled is like wow, unless you only work one thing at a time. Personally Id say I do crap video editing and more things for fun and when Im working things Ill fill me 320 external with 40-50 gigs of my regular HD,that has the portion of my timelines that im working on at the time, while im working on portions of a project or two. The HD speed is a must, cant say I see to may HD over 7200rpms,(but I could be blind) always check the speed when looking at size. If your going to do the video editing that the base MacPro can do then a 250 gig is undershooting some and Id go for 500gigs minimum. Its always nice to try those huge editing things on a Practice project before finalizing it.

Apple always sucks on drive rpms. I don't know why. I think 7200 is enough. I would just get a big enough drive. He must not use it much if 150GB doesn't get full too quickly.

Quote:

Im partial to ATI. Nvidia makes a great product for everyone but me. I am the rare exception that has bought every 1/100,000 cards that is a lemon from the start from Nvidia. The two cards should run the two monitors fine. Although you may want to wait and see if the Newer ATI and Nvidia's are offered soon with the MacPro so that you get a more up to date card since the 1900 XT is going on like 6 months, if im not mistaken.

I cant comment on Apple cinema displays, havent used them and dont have any friends that have either.

Super drive, no brainer if you ask me.

Im mixed on the Bluetooth on desktops unless your thinking of bluetooth speakers or some other cool audio gizmos.

Just some food for thought.

Can't comment on the graphics. They sound adequate for what he does. The rest of his purchase sounds fine to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Typically, someone needing that much machine will be better served with more than 2GB of RAM. But you'll want to check elsewhere online for a good deal on that memory. I haven't checked recently but Apple almost never offers good deals on bundled components such as memory.

Agreed.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    One note on RAM, in the MacPro they must be added in equal pairs. If you want 3GB, you'll need to add two 512MB sticks to the existing 2GB. Check Crucial for Apple certified RAM. Crucial is the marketing arm for Micron, a major manufacturer of RAM. In fact, my MacPro came from Apple with Crucial RAM.

Go with the 250GB hard drive. Addition drives are a user upgrade and are incredibly simple to install. Newegg.com and Zipzoomfly.com are good places to buy hard drives.