Apple ups orders for 20-inch panels ahead of new iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Demand for 20-inch widescreen LCD panels is on the rise, with trendsetters Apple and Dell opting to include 20-inch screens on some of their new products over more popular-sized displays, according to DigiTimes.

The Taiwanese rumor site notes that Dell recently added a new 20-inch widescreen monitor, the UltraSharp 2007WFP, to its lineup.

Meanwhile, Apple in the coming weeks will take the wraps off its next-generation all-in-one iMac desktops, which will be available exclusively in 20- and 24-inch configurations. With the 17-inch iMac entering retirement, the new 20-inch model is expected to become the company's top-selling desktop.

Currently, sales of 22-inch LCD monitors are said to be better than those for 20-inch widescreen models, as the number of 22-inch LCD monitor suppliers is larger than that of 20-inch. According to DigiTimes, most PC vendors today are bundling 19-inch and 22-inch widescreen displays.

AU Optronics (AUO), LG.Philips LCD and Chunghwa Picture Tubes (CPT) are all expected to benefit from the Apple and Dell orders, as they are the three major suppliers of 20-inch widescreen panels.

However, DigiTimes cites sources who claim that 22-inch displays will eventually emerge as the next mainstream widescreen display size. Those sources indicated that LG.Philips LCD may soon start cutting 22-inch widescreen panels at its 7.5 generation (7.5G) plant to expand its 22-inch panel output.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...which will be available exclusively in 20- and 24-inch configurations. With the 17-inch iMac entering retirement, the new 20-inch model is expected to become the company's top-selling desktop.

I just love how a simple idea or rumor can quickly spiral into a guarantee. [/sarcasm]

I hope Apple keeps the 17" just to egg the face of everyone that touted it's demise as absolute fact.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I hope Apple keeps the 17" just to egg the face of everyone that touted it's demise as absolute fact.

That will show them!
  • Reply 3 of 66
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I just love how a simple idea or rumor can quickly spiral into a guarantee. [/sarcasm]

Your just looking at one data point. They have had other 'sources' that have led them to believe this.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Maybe we'll see a 22-inch iMac in the line-up too.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Currently, sales of 22-inch LCD monitors are said to be better than those for 20-inch widescreen models, as the number of 22-inch LCD monitor suppliers is larger than that of 20-inch. According to DigiTimes, most PC vendors today are bundling 19-inch and 22-inch widescreen displays.

personally, i'm looking to purchase a 20-inch display for my MacBook. i haven't found anything smaller with enough pixels (1680x1050), and the ones slightly larger (21",22") seem to have the same resolution. so 20" seems like the sweet spot to me.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    Quote:

I could see them keeping the 17" iMac for the education market. A lot of primary schools want the most basic Mac they can get their hands on.
  • Reply 7 of 66
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    I think the next gen Macs will have HD video as the "killer app" this time around, so will probably opt for displays of 1920x1080 minimum - which rules out anything below 20"

On another note, most bundled PC displays are of inferior quality vs Mac (TN Film vs S-IPS respectively)
  • Reply 8 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

I could see them keeping the 17" iMac for the education market. A lot of primary schools want the most basic Mac they can get their hands on.

As far as high schools here in NYC are concerned, we're moving to 20". Modern OS's and programs require more real estate.

Elementary schools might go for the 17" because of cost, but the 20" don't take up much more room, so even they are moving to them.

We saw this movement starting with the 12" models many years ago. They're right about the 22" models. I'm seeing many more of them, and the prices are about the same as the 20"s.

Not everyone wants a bigger screen because it has higher rez. A lot of people want the same rez in a bigger screen because they are easier to read. not everyone has great eyes.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

I think the next gen Macs will have HD video as the "killer app" this time around, so will probably opt for displays of 1920x1080 minimum - which rules out anything below 20")

That will be GREAT if resolutions go higher. But for the record, the 17" Mac Book Pro has a BTO option for a 1.920x1.200 pixel screen. It is $100 more.

Also, a dedicated 17" iMac for the education market could stay 'hobbled' while the rest of the line moves up.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

That will be GREAT if resolutions go higher. But for the record, the 17" Mac Book Pro has a BTO option for a 1.920x1.200 pixel screen. It is $100 more.

Sorry I don't see your point. Perhaps you are you saying that to bump resolutions up would incur a cost premium? I don't think this would be the case for the desktop market.
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Quote:

Sorry I don't see your point. Perhaps you are you saying that to bump resolutions up would incur a cost premium? I don't think this would be the case for the desktop market.

My only point there was they make a 17" screen capable of a higher resolution. That was more in response to the first part of your quote: "....so will probably opt for displays of 1920x1080 minimum - which rules out anything below 20"

Personally I'm not interested in the 17 inch size either. I'm just saying Apple COULD keep it. Not saying they will.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

On another note, most bundled PC displays are of inferior quality vs Mac (TN Film vs S-IPS respectively)

All Mac laptop displays as well as the 17" iMac use TN displays, and I haven't seen much evidence that the other iMacs use S-IPS either, though the Cinema Displays do.

Anyway, with LG.Philips starting production of 22" substrates, this means that the 22" segment won't be limited to TN, which is nice.

/Adrian
  • Reply 13 of 66
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Suppose those newer iMacs will come with displays with higher dpis, would it make sense to unveil them before Leopard that's supposed to bring us resolution independed interface?
  • Reply 14 of 66
    ncbillncbill Posts: 17member
    Are any new models going to ship before Leopard arrives?

We are supposedly only a few weeks away from iMacs and yet no website has specs, much less pictures of new iMacs.

Except for keyboard pics anyone could have made in Photoshop.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

Are any new models going to ship before Leopard arrives?

We are supposedly only a few weeks away from iMacs and yet no website has specs, much less pictures of new iMacs.

No one here knows any more than you do.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Awe heck... with today's margins, Apple should drop the 20" price to match the current 17", go for the 24" and why not add in a 27 or 30" while they are at it? If Apple puts in a big order for the large screens, I imagine they can get a sufficiently competitive price to just up the screen size across the board.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Awe heck... with today's margins, Apple should drop the 20" price to match the current 17", go for the 24" and why not add in a 27 or 30" while they are at it? If Apple puts in a big order for the large screens, I imagine they can get a sufficiently competitive price to just up the screen size across the board.

What has to be realized is that Apple simply doesn't sell enough iMacs for that to happen. Even if they did want to muddy up their line with all of those closely spaced models, it's not likely to add much in the way of sales. All of those SKU's would simply take their margins down, as it's the number of units sold per SKU that keeps the margin where it is.

An OEM gets a bigger discount when they buy more of the same model, not more of different sizes, but less of any individual model. The prices would go up. Apple also uses different manufacturers.

The most likely thing to happen is that Apple might see sales go up 10%, but see margins drop as different models cut into the sales of others.

What Apple needs to do to upscale their desktop sales is have a totally different model out there, that a much larger base of customer would want, but they show, so far, no interest in providing one.
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Quote:

"The Taiwanese rumor site notes that Dell recently added a new 20-inch widescreen monitor, the UltraSharp 2007WFP, to its lineup. "

What do you think about this idea ?

....could this be similiar to the new Imac Model ?

http://www.hardware.info/en-US/artic...07WFP__Review/
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:

I hope Apple keeps the 17" for the purpose of maintaining a reasonably-sized budget computer. If Apple does indeed cut the Mac Mini, their cheapest computer will probably be $1200 USD or so.

That's not a very appealing aspect, and I can't imagine switchers being excited to take the plunge for that price.

A secondary benefit to keeping the 17" would be the aforementioned egg-facing of idiots who think they know everything.

I personally think Apple will keep a 17" model.

-Clive
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

I challenge anyone here to create those images using only photos of current Mac Products and Photoshop.

There's no doubt in my mind that the keyboard is a physically genuine model... It's just a matter of whether Apple made it, and furthermore, decided to use it as the next iMac keyboard.

If you think those picts were created in Photoshop, you're an idiot. Please tell me that's not the case.

-Clive