Apple slips on overblown iPhone remark; iPod ramp in September?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Shares of Apple Inc. took a substantial hit Tuesday morning after an unofficial analyst comment on iPhone production was blown out of proportion during a swift game of Wall Street telephone tag. Meanwhile, an overseas report claims Apple plans to ramp production of a new iPhone model this September.

Apple skids on one-off analyst comment

Apple shares slipped more than $5.00 or 3.5 percent in early morning trading on the Nasdaq stock market after TheStreet.com reported on a research note from Miller Tabak which allegedly asserted that Apple was reducing its production of iPhones from "9 million units to 4.5 million units.Â?

However, Miller Tabak analyst Peter Boockvar later told AppleInsider that his firm authored no such note on Apple. Instead, he said, gossip was passed alongÂ*during a conversation and was subsequently overblown.

"Disregard it. There's no note on Apple today," Boockvar said. "It's pure noise."

iPod ramp in September

Taiwan-based Compeq Manufacturing will start producing rigid-flex printed circuit boards (PCBs) for a new line of Apple iPods due for production ramp in the September time frame, according to DigiTimes.

Rigid-flex circuit boards use a combination of flexible and rigid substrates laminated into a single package, presenting a 3D interconnect that can be bent, folded, and mutilated into a higher performing PCB. The technology allows electronics designers to replace multiple PCBs interconnected with connectors, wires and ribbon cables with a single package offering improved performance and reliability.

Additionally, Compeq is said to have received validation for high density interconnect (HDI) and rigid-flex PCBs for handheld models that will become part of Apple's iPhone series.

While DigiTimes offered no additional details on the iPhone model, it cited industry sources in saying iPod production would begin in small volumes this August, with shipments ramping up in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Stupid analysts.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How high is the ramp?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Stupid knee-jerk "investors."
  • Reply 4 of 36
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

Stupid knee-jerk "investors."

You say "stupid", but taking your profit may be smart.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    So does this mean a Libel suit: Apple vs. TheStreet?

Someone cook these a**holes please.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    They didn't say anything, so a libel suit is in order? No, not at all.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    gumguygumguy Posts: 27member
    Yea, thanks for the "noise" and I hoped someone gets fired!!
  • Reply 8 of 36
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Today's a day to buy some AAPL...
  • Reply 9 of 36
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How high is the ramp?

I imagine it's at least this high:

• Reply 10 of 36
    Eminem should sue.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    apple is very close to its all time high (reached about a week ago).

of course this was all due to a flurry of iphone hype.

the iphone is here. it looks like the sales have started to trail off (this is what could be inferred from Verizon's conferrence call about losing customers to AT&T).

the iphone being a huge success is already priced (in my opinion overpriced) into apple's stock.

i see a major lack of news between now and the fall (when apple should begin to pick up due to seasonal sales up swing)... sure new imacs (overall, desktops are only 1/4 of apple's sales) and new ipods (which are rumored not to be widescreens ala the iphone)... i dunno i don't see any real surprises pumping up the stock.

of course there is the continued growth story about apple selling more computers but this is already priced into the stock.

are you sure you want to buy apple now?
  • Reply 12 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    TheStreet.com

Kramer up to his old tricks again?

Buy on dip (sh*t).

m
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

So does this mean a Libel suit: Apple vs. TheStreet?

Someone cook these a**holes please.

Don't you mean slander?

Slander=spoken

Libel=written

But I agree with your point though.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Eminem should sue.

• Reply 15 of 36
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    This is just the kind of thing that the SEC typically checks up on, to make sure that no one from thestreet.com was profiting from this kind of a price move. I have little doubt that they have a bunch of their folks sniffing around on this one, and that this is probably not the last we will hear of it.......

But the skittishness/nervousness on Apple is the larger story here: As I have said before, this is the kind of volatility that we simply have to learn to live with in the new, post-iPhone world until the dust settles somewhat on what this new product means for AAPL's cash flows in the future.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    These analysts are putting out FUD so to take opportunites to pull the stock back so they can convince their investors to buy. This is not the first time this has happen, other analysts in the past who no one ever heard of in the past all of a suddent comes out with news that no one else has and the stock falls and you never hear from them again.

Think of it, cut iphone from 9 to 4.5 million over what period, come on apple stated 10 million in 18 months, why would they cut product forcasts by 50% 6 months to a year ahead based on only 3 or 4 weeks of sales, unless the blew the load in 2 or 4 days and no one has bought a iphone since.

I am long on Apple and not interested in even taking a little profit at this time, let it ride and roller coaster is fun.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Eminem should sue.

drjjones should sue
  • Reply 18 of 36
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    ^^

Now he can't afford a lawyer.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

These analysts are putting out FUD so to take opportunites to pull the stock back so they can convince their investors to buy. This is not the first time this has happen, other analysts in the past who no one ever heard of in the past all of a suddent comes out with news that no one else has and the stock falls and you never hear from them again.

Think of it, cut iphone from 9 to 4.5 million over what period, come on apple stated 10 million in 18 months, why would they cut product forcasts by 50% 6 months to a year ahead based on only 3 or 4 weeks of sales, unless the blew the load in 2 or 4 days and no one has bought a iphone since.

I am long on Apple and not interested in even taking a little profit at this time, let it ride and roller coaster is fun.

The other thing is the analyst you've never heard of saying that Apple sold a million iPhones in the first 24 hours and other stuff which wasn't true. There was a lot of false information about the iPhone which escalated the price of the stock. I see it going down some more because it is very unstable right now, going up and down 3 to 5 percent every day. I think it will even out somewhat close to what it was a few months ago at some point once longer term news for Apple comes out.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

I see it going down some more because it is very unstable right now, going up and down 3 to 5 percent every day. I think it will even out somewhat close to what it was a few months ago at some point once longer term news for Apple comes out.

If you look at the lows (red) the trend line says we are about on track. The upside looks kind of interesting.