Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has seeded the first pre-release builds of its Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger Update, asking developers to test the release across the board.

People familiar with the software say the first two builds -- one for Intel-based Macs (8S2138) and another for PowerPC-based models (8S138) -- sports maintenance-related enhancements to over 60 specific system components.

Among the most identifiable components are AirPort drivers, Apple Storage drivers, audio codecs, CoreAudio, CoreFoundation, CoreGraphics, CoreTypes, CoreVideo, Dock, FileManager, FlashPlugin, Installer, Networking, PDFKit, QuickDraw, Safari, SystemSoundServer, and WebKit.

In releasing the software to developers this week, Apple did not pinpoint enhancements to each component, but simply asked that developers test their new and existing applications thoroughly -- especially those that make extensive use of the aforementioned components.

What Apple did say, according to those familiar with the software, is that Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update already includes nearly 20 individual bug fixes over the current version of Mac OS X 10.4.10. These include code corrections for CoreAudio when decoding iTunes Plus files, networking with Cisco VPN, enabling/disabling Bluetooth on Macs, and CoreAudio under Safari.

As the first builds of Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update slowly makes their way into the hands of Apple's tens of thousands of developers, the list of bug fixes is expected to grow significantly.

Word that Apple was planning to begin widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.11 Update first broke on Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    The bluetooth fix will be greatly appreciated!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Amazing when you think how near Leopard is ... I hope
  • Reply 3 of 20
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Can't they just leave it and get on with Leopard? I won't care about 10.4.11 once I have 10.5 installed!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Can't they just leave it and get on with Leopard? I won't care about 10.4.11 once I have 10.5 installed!

It's irresponsible to leave Tiger full of bugs just because Leopard is coming out soon and arrogant to assume everyone either has or will soon buy Leopard capable hardware.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

It's irresponsible to leave Tiger full of bugs just because Leopard is coming out soon and arrogant to assume everyone either has or will soon buy Leopard capable hardware.

Very true. However, this could also be an interesting diversion.

"Ho hum. We've got another 10.4.x update for you to check out . . ."

Then, on August 7th:

"Look at these new iMacs! And this nifty ultra-portable! And, by the way, they all ship with LEOPARD, starting at 6pm today!"
  • Reply 6 of 20
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

code corrections for CoreAudio when decoding iTunes Plus files

Wait, what? Issues decoding non-DRM'ed files?

I'm confused.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

I'm confused.

Yeah, I saw that too. What is there to decode?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

I'm confused.

You still have to decode the compressed audio file, regardless of DRM.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Then, on August 7th:

"Look at these new iMacs! And this nifty ultra-portable! And, by the way, they all ship with LEOPARD, starting at 6pm today!"

You wish.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:

Then, on August 7th:

"The ship is leaking again , darn ." Steve Jobs . How did you find out Lafe ?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

I know, I was just being silly.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

My computer has had issues since like 10.4.5, so I wish they would stop with the iPhone and get 10.5 out already!
  • Reply 13 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielandrews View Post

You still have to decode the compressed audio file, regardless of DRM.

Still, that's bizarre because it's just an AAC file, and I've never seen problems or complaints about this.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Amazing when you think how near Leopard is ... I hope

Probably not as close as Apple expected and said. This update normally would be ready by September. And Leopard is expected in October. I don't know, but it seems a little difficult to me.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Then, on August 7th:

I so need what you are smoking.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

I don't think he was serious about that.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I don't think he was serious about that.

Not really. Just letting my dreams run wild.

• Reply 18 of 20
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post

I'll pay twice what he does..
  • Reply 19 of 20
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Indeed. I'm still using a 400Mhz G3 (Pismo Powerbook) so I can't go past Tiger. I look forward to these little updates.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    I think this shows the level of commitment to provide the best user experience possible. Even in the thick of it, they're not content to sit on their iphone laurels. Let's give credit when do. Way to go Apple!

B