New Parallels beta supports iPhone, Google phone talk reappears

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Parallels is launching a new test version of its Parallels Desktop virtualization software that, among other features, supports the iPhone. Also, a new report suggests that Google's first cellphone is well underway.

Parallels beta supports Expose, iPhone in Windows

Wednesday signaled the public release of a new beta for Parallels Desktop that promised multiple extensions blurring the line between native Mac and virtual Windows environments.

Significantly, the test update for version 3.0 adds full recognition of the iPhone in Windows XP or Vista virtual machines, allowing the device to sync with iTunes. The unusual change is necessary for those who may run Microsoft Outlook for work purposes and need its data on the Apple device, according to Parallels.

"Yes, I realize the irony of syncing an Apple device with Windows running on a Mac, but lots of people need [this]," said company PR chief Ben Rudolph. "Try not to judge."

The refresh also further blends Windows apps into Coherence Mode, integrating them with the Mac OS X Expose task switcher and adding drop shadow effects.

Other changes included restoring the Image Tool's features to let the user change the size and state of disk images, and the ability to browse a virtual machine's file system while the environment is in suspend mode.

The update is currently free and open to any public user already running Parallels Desktop 3.

Google funneling money into cellphone project

Reuters' investment guidance firm Anian has revealed in a recent report that Google's often-rumored cellphone project is not only real but has received a large infusion of cash on the road to completion.

While short on details, the report said that Google was taking the concept of its own cellphone seriously and had spent "hundreds of millions" of dollars designing and preparing for the device. Taiwan's HTC, which regularly produces and then rebrands phones for American and European markets, was purportedly designing a Linux phone on behalf of the Mountain View, Calif.-based search engine giant. T-Mobile would be the primary carrier for the phone in the US in early 2008 while Orange would service France and other areas, Anian said.

Google had also allegedly discussed deals with AT&T and Verizon for integrating Google service into their cellphone lines but had been turned down by at least Verizon, which objected to splitting ad revenue with the potential partner. All three American carriers said to be involved in the deal declined to comment.

The move by Google to create its own phone would complicate its relationship with Apple and other phone designers such as LG, many of whom already have installed custom Google map and search tools in recent models. The iPhone to date relies on Google's Maps utility and its search engine in the mobile version of Safari, but is expected to gain more apps over time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Good luck attracting customers with T-Mo's atrocious coverage map...
  • Reply 2 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    WTF would Google gain by getting into manufacturing and hardware? This report about Google is likely untrue or will have limited impact. It doesn't fit with their company's goals.

Here's the article.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    I hope it aint similar to the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

WTF would Google gain by getting into manufacturing and hardware? This report about Google is likely untrue, and it doesn't fit with their company's goals.

I think it is a smart move and one that can well fit into their goals, anyway they are not talking about manufacturing a device themselves, they are essentially OEM'ing a handset from HTC. Google have already got some great applications for mobile use and this sounds like they have got many more on the cards. They need to make some money out of these apps and if the carriers are not prepared to deal then Google may be left with no choice but to launch their own handset as way of getting their apps out there.

And before anyone talks about the iPhone they would really need a bigger slice of the market than they can get from the iphone, the iphone is very niche and probably will be so for some time yet. If HTC make a 'normal' smartphone and it is sold in the usual way it could end up being a popular phone at a fraction of the cost as the iPhone.

Of course this could always be a bluff on Googles part just to muddy the waters while they negotiate with network operators and mobile manufacturers but i thnk their is probably some truth in it.

Imagine a 3G smartphone with integrated GPS running google maps, a linux based OS that is open to 3rd party applications, in fact everything the iPhone should have been!! Of course we do not know what the specs will be but if i were to release a phone that would be built around google apps today it would without a doubt include GPS and 3G support.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

I think it is a smart move and one that can well fit into their goals, anyway they are not talking about manufacturing a device themselves, they are essentially OEM'ing a handset from HTC. Google have already got some great applications for mobile use and this sounds like they have got many more on the cards. They need to make some money out of these apps and if the carriers are not prepared to deal then Google may be left with no choice but to launch their own handset as way of getting their apps out there.

And before anyone talks about the iPhone they would really need a bigger slice of the market than they can get from the iphone, the iphone is very niche and probably will be so for some time yet. If HTC make a 'normal' smartphone and it is sold in the usual way it could end up being a popular phone at a fraction of the cost as the iPhone.

Of course this could always be a bluff on Googles part just to muddy the waters while they negotiate with network operators and mobile manufacturers but i thnk their is probably some truth in it.

Imagine a 3G smartphone with integrated GPS running google maps, a linux based OS that is open to 3rd party applications, in fact everything the iPhone should have been!! Of course we do not know what the specs will be but if i were to release a phone that would be built around google apps today it would without a doubt include GPS and 3G support.

If this is really the case, Apple needs to partner even closer with Google (or get bought by them). Google will rule the earth with googly appendages.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

(or get bought by them)

• Reply 8 of 34
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

Apple needs to partner even closer with Google

Quote:

(or get bought by them).

• Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

• Reply 10 of 34
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    i call bs :P
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Apple: buy our iPhone for $499 and sign up for a 2 year contract.

Google: here is a free phone for you, you just have to listen to advertisements before making a call and be bombarded with more ads every time you use the internet.

I don't think they are going after the same market.

In fact they are going after polar opposites of the market.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Apple: buy our iPhone for $499 and sign up for a 2 year contract.

Google: here is a free phone for you, you just have to listen to advertisements before making a call and be bombarded with more ads every time you use the internet.

I don't think they are going after the same market.

In fact they are going after polar opposites of the market.

I agree.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Who on *earth* with the slighest amount of disposable income is going to put up with listening to audio ads everytime they want to make a call, though?

Text-ads tucked along the side of texting, email, and browsing, on the other hand... in exchange for a free/discounted phone and free/discounted service... that's a much more interesting proposition.

How that actually really works, though (cell phone screens are awfully small to start splitting them up for ads), and just how competent Google is at putting together a device at anything close to level of Apple's products though, is a whole 'nother story.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I would like an actual explanation of why a Mac user would need to use the iPhone connected through a Windows virtualization, better than what amounts to "trust us, some people need it".

With regards to the gPhone, I'm definitely not cheap enough to use a phone that pushes audio ads. Particularly when I have every expectation that the ad buyers and ad makers will use loudness maximization to hurt me.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I would like an actual explanation of why a Mac user would need to use the iPhone connected through a Windows virtualization, better than what amounts to "trust us, some people need it".

That's easy. There are corporate users - like me - that use Parallels + XP & Outlook for accessing corporate e-mail. Entourage is just too weak of a tool for my personal needs. So, I use Outlook for all mail, calendar and contacts.

To sync my iPhone today, I also have to open Entourage and have sync services turned on so that iCal and address book get updated. Then I connect my iPhone to my Mac and use iTunes to sync my calendar and address book. Having Parallels support the iPhone means that I can use the Windows version of iTunes and use Outlook to sync my calendar and contacts directly (meaning I can ditch Entourage and iCal).

Make sense?

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 16 of 34
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Anyone else find posting two disparate pieces of news in the one headline kind of irritating?

It's tolerable in the RSS feed I guess, but it makes reading forum comments jump around schizophrenically: one person's talking about one thing, someone else about another.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post

That's easy. There are corporate users - like me - that use Parallels + XP & Outlook for accessing corporate e-mail. Entourage is just too weak of a tool for my personal needs. So, I use Outlook for all mail, calendar and contacts.

To sync my iPhone today, I also have to open Entourage and have sync services turned on so that iCal and address book get updated. Then I connect my iPhone to my Mac and use iTunes to sync my calendar and address book. Having Parallels support the iPhone means that I can use the Windows version of iTunes and use Outlook to sync my calendar and contacts directly (meaning I can ditch Entourage and iCal).

Make sense?

That's much better, thank you. I was just resenting the lame soundbite that the Parallels PR lackey gave.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

Anyone else find posting two disparate pieces of news in the one headline kind of irritating?

It's tolerable in the RSS feed I guess, but it makes reading forum comments jump around schizophrenically: one person's talking about one thing, someone else about another.

Think of it as pre-derailing a thread. We know it happens eventually, so they might as well get it over with.

I agree though. It's unfortunate. It would be nice to have more, but concise threads rather than fewer, sprawling threads.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    With the Google jumping to buy the new FCC spectrum (700 MHz), this may be a decent move on Google's part to build their own cell phone, even if they are going to sublease the spectrum. Just more freedom than the prevalent sucky carriers like Verizon and AT&T.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoodOverZune View Post

With the Google jumping to buy the new FCC spectrum (700 MHz), this may be a decent move on Google's part to build their own cell phone, even if they are going to sublease the spectrum. Just more freedom than the prevalent sucky carriers like Verizon and AT&T.

Exactly! Google's end game is to bypass the whole cellular industry.

Google will provide the nationwide(eventually global) wireless network and software backend.

Apple will provide the mobile wireless devices, retail distribution and customer support.

at&t, the clock is ticking.