iMac: laptop vs desktop components - pros & cons?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With the current and possibly future iMacs using laptop class CPU (and other components?), I was wondering what an exhaustive list of pros and cons would be - and an explanation of some points - marked with a '?'

Laptop components - Pros:

Smaller size - allowing a compact, stylish enclosure

Lower heat displacement - also allowing a compact, stylish enclosure

Lower power consumption (I assume)

Cheaper 6bit display (TN) panel type as used in laptops

Laptop components - Cons:

Lower performance compared to desktop components - but by how much?

More expensive than desktop components ?

Please comment and add to the list

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l33r0y View Post

With the current and possibly future iMacs using laptop class CPU (and other components?), I was wondering what an exhaustive list of pros and cons would be - and an explanation of some points - marked with a '?'

Laptop components - Pros:

Smaller size - allowing a compact, stylish enclosure

Lower heat displacement - also allowing a compact, stylish enclosure

Lower power consumption (I assume)

Cheaper 6bit display (TN) panel type as used in laptops

Laptop components - Cons:

Lower performance compared to desktop components - but by how much?

More expensive than desktop components ?

Please comment and add to the list

-The panels are desktop panels as they don't make laptop panels that big.

-As of current, the 2.2ghz mobile chip is ~$20 more expensive as the E6850 3.0ghz dual core desktop chip.

-The PM965 is about the same price as the desktop versions.

-Optical drive is about three times as expensive and half as fast as a desktop model. Also, for those with DVD camcorders, they don't work with 3.5" DVDs.

-Not as much a notebook component drawback as a form faction one, but saying it lacks expansion possibilities.

I know the hard core faithful don't want to hear it, but desktop and all in one users are two different groups with two different sets of requirements.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Laptop ram cost alot more and comes in slower speeds

There are better desktop chip sets then the laptop ones.

the mini and low end imac still have the old gma 950 on board video. Desktop on board video chip right now are a lot better.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

-The panels are desktop panels as they don't make laptop panels that big.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have included this point. I was thinking in terms of 6bit vs 8bit, but of course this isn't exclusively desktop vs laptop.

Interesting points though - thanks for the input, all.

I guess by Tuesday, I'll have a better idea of were I'll go. Heart will probably save iMac, head will say Mac Pro. \
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Is it possible that they would make blu-ray or hd-dvd drives an option for the imacs or at least mac pros?

the new keyboard pictures are hideous!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    The other pro is that laptop parts increases Apple's laptop part bulk purchases by 600K units. That probably translates into additional volume discounts from Intel.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Any thoughts as for the reliability/longevity of the two component types?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I love the fact that for £25/$35 I can put an 18x DVD+RW DL drive in my iMac G4 - something you can't do internally on an Intel iMac. It has a full size DIMM RAM slot (and an SODIMM slot). The iMac G4 isn't a chunky desktop anyhow; it's got a 10.6" diameter base and pretty thin 20" display.

In a machine the size of the Intel 20/24" iMacs I cannot comprehend why Apple uses SODIMMs.

I'd like to see Apple switch the new iMacs to using full size DIMMs, use Conroe and include an ExpressCard slot. All of which seems quite possible in cases of that size.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I love the fact that for £25/$35 I can put an 18x DVD+RW DL drive in my iMac G4 - something you can't do internally on an Intel iMac. It has a full size DIMM RAM slot (and an SODIMM slot). The iMac G4 isn't a chunky desktop anyhow; it's got a 10.6" diameter base and pretty thin 20" display.

In a machine the size of the Intel 20/24" iMacs I cannot comprehend why Apple uses SODIMMs.

I'd like to see Apple switch the new iMacs to using full size DIMMs, use Conroe and include an ExpressCard slot. All of which seems quite possible in cases of that size.

Making a machine look good is worth making major performance concessions to Jobs and Ives.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Making a machine look good is worth making major performance concessions to Jobs and Ives.

True but IMHO they are getting lazy. The iMac G4 is the best looking iMac so far and largely used desktop compents.