upgrade question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

this is my first post and I hope someone can help me figure out whether I can upgrade my Power pc g4 to Tiger.

I can't afford a new computer right now, but I am self employed as a writer/newsletter editor so my little 13 inch power pc g4 is pretty precious to me. I do a lot of newsletters and emailing and deal with jpgs and other images. I've also got to buy a new printer--just a basic one--but most need a higher os than I'm running right now. (any suggestions would be great.)

Right now I've got 384 MB, 867 MHZ processor, and OS 10 v2.8. What do I need to do to upgrade to the latest version of Tiger?

Thanks so much,

tr

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thyrar View Post

Hi,

Right now I've got 384 MB, 867 MHZ processor, and OS 10 v2.8. What do I need to do to upgrade to the latest version of Tiger?

I'm pretty sure it should be doable, but at the very least you will need more memory, at least 512 mb I'd say.

I don't know if you have firewire and a firewire external harddisk, but using that you could just boot tiger from the external disk and see how it works.

Alternatively you might also consider looking for a cheap used mac mini which will run tiger much better...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Your machine ought to run Tiger decently the way it is, but popping in an extra 512MB chip would help matters greatly. Your 12" PowerBook has 128MB of non-removable RAM, and a 256MB module added. Replace that with a 512MB module and you'll get 640MB of RAM, well above Tiger's requirements.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    thanks for the suggestions. I think the 512 chip is the way to go because I travel and need lug the thing around and don't want to lug a mac mini as well. I hope to get at least another year out of this old gal....(computer, not me.)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I've got Tiger running on a G3 iBook (400Mhtz) with 320MB. It runs just fine. (though it doesn't really handle h264 movies or Flash content very smoothly.)