Slow Apple TV sync

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just got apple TV - looks great with the new plasma.

Using a new airport extreme base station & a CD MBP.

Syncing is taking forever - any ideas what is likely to be wrong & how to speed this up?

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Just got apple TV - looks great with the new plasma.

Using a new airport extreme base station & a CD MBP.

Syncing is taking forever - any ideas what is likely to be wrong & how to speed this up?

Thanks,

Nick

Sounds about right for the first sync. You are probably syncing at 802.11g speeds and it will take awhile for all those gigabytes to transfer. You can speed things up by making sure that your MBP and any other wireless devices are configured for 802.11n (I don't know which if any CD MBP can be configured to use n), or to use wired either net for your first sync.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Sounds about right for the first sync. You are probably syncing at 802.11g speeds and it will take awhile for all those gigabytes to transfer. You can speed things up by making sure that your MBP and any other wireless devices are configured for 802.11n (I don't know which if any CD MBP can be configured to use n), or to use wired either net for your first sync.

My MBP is 802.11g only

I tried to sync 1.99GB - after 14+ hours it was only 1/4 of the way through - surely this isn't to be expected?

Tried to connect to the ethernet port but aTV didn't appear under devices...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

My MBP is 802.11g only

I tried to sync 1.99GB - after 14+ hours it was only 1/4 of the way through - surely this isn't to be expected?

I've never experienced anything that slow. But nonetheless, if the wireless network isn't performing well, I recommend doing the first sync via Ethernet, and doing updates via wireless. That's what I did anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    duplicate post
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

My MBP is 802.11g only

I found 802.11 horrendous for large data transfers (incremental backups would go all night and still not be done when I left for work the next day) and thus use wired connections to keep my equipment in synced and backed up. -- And that first sync will still take a long time.

Did you connect the the ethernet cable to your laptop or to your BS? The ATV needs to get its IP address from the BS in order to be a good member of your network. Also, you may need to reset the ATV in order for it to transfer from wireless to wired.

Check your ATV network settings in the ATV Settings menu to find out if it is properly configured for your network. Besides giving the network settings particulars it is also telling me that I can connect wirelessly by disconnecting the ethernet cable. Maybe it will tell you how to switch to a wired network.