Little Peeve

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey guys. I'm not really making the switch, since I'm keeping my PC, but I just ordered an MBP for my photoshop needs.

Anywho, goofing around on some of the ones in the store, I'm getting a better feel for the differences in the OS. There's at least a few things that will drive me bonkers though. I'm a keyboard kind of guy, and when moving through the Finder, I can't figure out how to launch something simply from the keyboard! The type-to-search works great, better than on windows, but then I hit enter to open the desired file and it tries to rename the file. What can I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Thanks for the link, it sounds like a cool app.

However, is there no keyboard shortcut to open a file in the finder normally? Or can that too be changed?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Im not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but cmd-O should open any app that is highlighted. Cmd+arrow keys can get you thru the folder hierarchy.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cmd-O... ah guess I'll have to try that. Yeah, in the multi-pane list view (forget the term used) it's easy to navigate with just the arrows.

Any way to change cmd-O and override with enter?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PurelySwift View Post

cmd-O... ah guess I'll have to try that. Yeah, in the multi-pane list view (forget the term used) it's easy to navigate with just the arrows.

Any way to change cmd-O and override with enter?

Column view.

Not with enter, unless by that app Sebastian suggested, or another 3rd party one, but you can switch it to almost anything else. Enter would be the easiest and most logical but...

maybe in Leopard.\
  • Reply 6 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PurelySwift View Post

Thanks for the link, it sounds like a cool app.

However, is there no keyboard shortcut to open a file in the finder normally? Or can that too be changed?

Command down arrow.

It makes sense - command up arrow is to go up a level, so this is just the reverse.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Thanks for the further replies. I got the tracking no. today on the package, so I'll try it out on Thurs!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Not with enter, unless by that app Sebastian suggested, or another 3rd party one, but you can switch it to almost anything else. Enter would be the easiest and most logical but...

maybe in Leopard.\

We can only hope...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Hey guys. I got my MBP a few days ago and so far I'm really loving it. Cmd+O was the answer to my question, and while I'm not keen on it, I'll get used to it I think.

Again, thanks for the assistance.