using imap instead of pop-help!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
My internet provider accepts imap or pop. I have a mac laptop at home, an Imac- G5 at the office and an iphone. I tried putting imap on all 3 devices, but i couldn't get it to work on the iphone. All I want to be able to do is delete email on either computer and automatically it's erased on the iphone. Is this possible? Could someone give me step by step instructions? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bagel109 View Post

My internet provider accepts imap or pop. I have a mac laptop at home, an Imac- G5 at the office and an iphone. I tried putting imap on all 3 devices, but i couldn't get it to work on the iphone. All I want to be able to do is delete email on either computer and automatically it's erased on the iphone. Is this possible? Could someone give me step by step instructions? Thanks.

Just curious, how many emails (both old and new) do you have in your inbox? If you have thousands, you might want to distribute into into several folders, such that your inbox folder is 500 - 1000 messages.

If you have already done this, then never mind. If not, it might help with IMAP on the mobile device.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I just want to delete emails on my Imac computer and have them automatically deleted on the iphone so I don't have to do it twice...i was told imap was the way to go. I'm just not sure how to do it successfully.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Yep, I set up IMAP and do just what you describe. Delete it on the iPhone, iMac, or Powerbook and it automatically deletes it on all other devices. It even marks messages as read if I have read it on one device, and if I send an email from any device, it shows up in the Sent folder of all other devices.