aqua scrollbars... bye bye

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Check out the iLife demo video...the new apps all have the iTunes styled scrollbar. Since Apple said it wanted a consistent look (yay!) I'd bet a future Leopard build will have the aqua scrollbars replaced with the blue-ish ones all over the place.

okay. perhaps an uninteresting topic but I am glad the gumbars are gone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Yay, fisher-price shiny blue be gone
  • Reply 2 of 14
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Agreed. I have been hoping for iTunes style scrollbars for ages. I am tired of the gummy bar. I hate metal windows and I hate the gummy scrollbars. I love Aqua buttons and the new Leopard look, though.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Yes I love the new look too. Both hardware and software wise.

People keep bitchin' about the 3d dock and menubar, and yes, I still have doubts about the menu bar,

but we often forget we sometimes just need to get used to things.

The real big thing here is they are AGAIN head of Vista were they just discover 3d effects and "wow" transitions. Unfortunately they've done it without taste (which is a subjective thing I know).

What Apple has done is:
    1. Simplified the interface, make it look more professional.

They actually removed some eye candy (candy = blue scroll gum :-))

2. Made the interface look and behave more consistent (looking at iLife and iWork, Finder, etc.)

3. Focussed on productivity and workflow.

4. Quick look and better file sharing is wonderful, also for our company! Finally Pages has a decent contextual bar!

people; please forgive them their 3D dock as it isn't a big deal when you look at the big picture. I assume they will tweak it a bit (the blue dots)...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The Fisher Price® window-management buttons are still there though \
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The Fisher Price® window-management buttons are still there though \

That's OK, I like them!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Yeah thosw buttons trump the windows "X" (and other window management button at that) any day.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    The Safari 3 Beta still has them though, which is a bit annoying - perhaps will be changed in the final build. Similar to how finder on Tiger uses brushed metal, which doesn't go with the look of the other applications.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I think everything on Tiger will stay aqua, except the new apps that Apple just releaed
  • Reply 9 of 14
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Check out the iLife demo video...the new apps all have the iTunes styled scrollbar. Since Apple said it wanted a consistent look (yay!) I'd bet a future Leopard build will have the aqua scrollbars replaced with the blue-ish ones all over the place.

okay. perhaps an uninteresting topic but I am glad the gumbars are gone!

Meh. While I do agree with your consistency statement, I've had them gummy bars switched to grayscale since OS X came out. But I thought the "aqua" came from it's "fluidity" when scrolling, etc?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

I think everything on Tiger will stay aqua, except the new apps that Apple just releaed

I'd bet you $1,000,000 (if I had it) all the current blue scroll bars will go with the new gray look for the shelf copy of Leopard.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Meh. While I do agree with your consistency statement, I've had them gummy bars switched to grayscale since OS X came out. But I thought the "aqua" came from it's "fluidity" when scrolling, etc?

Aqua comes from their resemblance to water. It was brought out to go with their translucent hardware at the time.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    The scrollbars are only replaced in iPhoto.

Al the rest of iLife 08 keep the aqua scrollbars. View the specific vids for each app and you will see the old tiger aqua scroll bars.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

The scrollbars are only replaced in iPhoto.

Al the rest of iLife 08 keep the aqua scrollbars. View the specific vids for each app and you will see the old tiger aqua scroll bars.

now that is just lame :-)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Yeah, that really is stupid. I installed iLife '08 last night and iPhoto looks great with the iTunes scroll bars but iWeb still has them... WTF. Why can't they do it for every program?