No Mac Pro & No Leopard Dates

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
\

I was hoping for some mention of a shipping date for Leopard, or at least a statement of we're still on course for an October release of Leopard.

Did I miss it?

And although I knew that Intel hadn't released Penryn Xeons yet, I had a small hope that Intel was giving Apple another bonus by letting them be the first out the door with the new goodies. (see 3 GHz Quad cores for precedence)

Oh well...

So it goes.

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    This is the future hardware forum. Try and keep general coments in the correct forums please. Like the "General Discussion Forum". ThanX.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I was hoping for some mention of a shipping date for Leopard, or at least a statement of we're still on course for an October release of Leopard.

Steve was using Tiger during all the demos so perhaps it's not good enough for using live yet although I think Tiger was primarily used to show that the software would run under the current system. I was hoping to see some Core Animation in the presentation.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Has anyone heard anything about the release of the Penryn Xeons?

The last I heard/read was 4th quarter, but Intel has been beating its shipping estimates lately and there were rumors of a roll out whenever AMD ships Barcelona.

Anybody got anything?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

\

Did I miss it?

And although I knew that Intel hadn't released Penryn Xeons yet, I had a small hope that Intel was giving Apple another bonus by letting them be the first out the door with the new goodies. (see 3 GHz Quad cores for precedence)

Oh well...

So it goes.

\

He did not mention a specific date, but he did say "later this year".
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Has anyone heard anything about the release of the Penryn Xeons?

The last I heard/read was 4th quarter, but Intel has been beating its shipping estimates lately and there were rumors of a roll out whenever AMD ships Barcelona.

Anybody got anything?

All I know is that like the Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest launch, it'll be Xeons first. Specifically Harpertown Quad-core Xeons. My guess is that we might get the Mac Pro at Paris. Failing that, it'll probably hold until Jan. The sad thing is that with the Dell/HP workstation markups, the current Mac Pro is still semi-competitive.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

All I know is that like the Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest launch, it'll be Xeons first. Specifically Harpertown Quad-core Xeons. My guess is that we might get the Mac Pro at Paris. Failing that, it'll probably hold until Jan. The sad thing is that with the Dell/HP workstation markups, the current Mac Pro is still semi-competitive.

I don't know that Apple would necessarily need an event to launch new Mac Pros.

They seem to be getting away from that product launch MO.

I'm hoping that Apple would come out with new Mac Pros fairly soon after the new Penryn Xeons/motherboards launch.

<fantasy mode:ON>Concurrent announcement of Leopard and new Mac Pros in October<fantasy mode:OFF>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If my guess is correct, they may be making modifications based on the beatings Leopard received from the preview. Specifically, comments made on this board.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

<fantasy mode:ON>Concurrent announcement of Leopard and new Mac Pros in October<fantasy mode:OFF>

That's not unrealistic for an announcement, but then they'd say "Shipping by Christmas" or "Shipping next month" for the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

That's not unrealistic for an announcement, but then they'd say "Shipping by Christmas" or "Shipping next month" for the Mac Pro.

I could live with that. I would, of course, prefer an earlier ship date.

Just please, Apple, don't make me wait until MW 08.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    I tell you what I woud like, a Quad Core Mac Pro with just one clovertown chip, not two woodcrest Dual Core chips, Damn that would be nice. But it'll never be out in time to run tiger, damn... I guess it's over that, but 10.5 won't be that bad.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I hope a new MacPro by no later than October. Maybe new displays as well.

I wonder if either Apple will wait until around next WWDC 08 to complete redesign their enclosure for MacPro and Displays or do it this year.

I really don't have an answer for this question. I would love a new design now but it might take longer.