Security Apps Needed for Mac? Truth, now...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have my new macbook pro on order now. And am in process of switching my Adobe apps over to Apple. Now, I need to know what security apps I should get. Please advise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jocko View Post

I have my new macbook pro on order now. And am in process of switching my Adobe apps over to Apple. Now, I need to know what security apps I should get. Please advise.

I have been running Mac OS X since the 10.0 release on desktops and notebooks and I never seen a use for any security product.

However, there is a really cool network app named LittleSnitch that you might want to look at.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    LittleSnitch is good - it lets you know what apps are trying to make connections to the outside world, and block them from doing so. Sort of an inside-out firewall, with an emphasis on giving you an eye on what's going on while it happens.

Other than that... nothing really comes to mind. Make sure the built-in firewall is enabled (on by default), and there's not much else you need to do. Anti-virus? No viruses. Anti-spyware? Ditto.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Basically the only place that you'll need to take extra care to be safe is when you're on the internet. Phishing does not discriminate OSes so just make sure of sites you visit.

ah... freedom from norton. It feels good.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

I Know, hard to believe, isn't it?

But Mac really are safe enough to not have to worry about security apps! Just keep your firewall enabled and don't download software from sites you don't fully trust and your fine.

Off course, this does not hold if you also install windows on your mac through bootcamp or parallels but then there are enough freeware security to keep you safe.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    At the moment there are no viruses or spyware as people have said. For preventing targeted attacks, there is a built-in firewall and most ports are closed by default. If you want to prevent sending viruses to Windows users, you can use this program:

http://www.clamxav.com/
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jockojocko Posts: 11member
    Of course all this is wonderful news. Which leaves me with a dilemma. With the improvements in iworks it sounds like I may be able to get along without Microsoft Office. But there is one program I must use called Qimage. an unbelievable printing program that has the best interpolation algorithms available and it does not come for apple. If I run Qimage, would I put the entire computer at risk? Also, would I have to install windows just to run that program? I think the answer to the latter is "yes". Maybe I could move pix ready to print over to my old pc laptop? Or hope my desktop, half dead now, does not deteriorate further. Hmmm.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

If I run Qimage, would I put the entire computer at risk? Also, would I have to install windows just to run that program? I think the answer to the latter is "yes". Maybe I could move pix ready to print over to my old pc laptop? Or hope my desktop, half dead now, does not deteriorate further. Hmmm.

If you really cannot find a decent osX alternative (Adobe CS??) for that program, yes, you have to install windows. If you abide by the normal windows security rules (firewall, updated antivirus, don't download dubious software) your Mac will be perfectly safe.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Timely article: Antivirus Tools Underperform When Tested in LinuxWorld 'Fight Club'.

Tied for first place? ClamAV. The free one.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

... But there is one program I must use called Qimage. an unbelievable printing program that has the best interpolation algorithms available and it does not come for apple. If I run Qimage, would I put the entire computer at risk? ...

Have you ever actually printed your photographs from a Mac? You might find that Qimage is not as essential as you think.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jockojocko Posts: 11member
    No, I have noted printed (oir done anything else) from the Mac as it is only ordered and will ship in another week hopefully. But I need a program to greatly enlarge pictures. I take pictures of my art work which is blown way up for printing and that is what I need the Qimage for. But I will try it directly f rom Mac to printer.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

No, I have noted printed (oir done anything else) from the Mac as it is only ordered and will ship in another week hopefully. But I need a program to greatly enlarge pictures. I take pictures of my art work which is blown way up for printing and that is what I need the Qimage for. But I will try it directly f rom Mac to printer.

Genuine Fractals Print Pro may meet your needs. It's expensive but does just what you are looking for. You also need PhotoShop to use this.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail....e_id=7#sysreqs