Universal snubs iTunes in DRM-Free music bid

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
iTunes is being snubbed by Universal Music for DRM Free tracks.

Universal music has been throwing its considerable weight around lately.

First, there was the threat to not deal with Apple anymore over the pricing issue (read: Apple wants to sell music at a reasonable price and do what's best for consumer and artist, while Universal wants more money for the label).

I am glad that Apple has risen to where it is and the the iTunes, iPod combo are such great and easy to use tools for media. Apple has really helped both Music companies, artists, and the consumer with itunes. It seems like the ideal balance. Then Universal does all it can to drag us back to some draconian, microsoft style pricing. Bring the confusion.

i am considering personally boycotting any universal music purchase for a year. I think this is the best way to show companies that we don't tolerate their jerking us around.

DRM free high quality tracks is what I would like to have. However, if it is not on iTunes, I won't buy. Real, MSN, Sony, none of these people are consumer freindly. Apple seems to be and they at least are consistent and you know what to expect. so I trust them and I give them my business to help them continue to fight the good fight.

I am surprised to not see a post about this here already, but i hope more people take notice and more importantly, do something about it.

Engadget has the scoop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I see the following playing out.

Universal will sell DRM FREE to other stores.. sales will be low because of low traffic, I could almost guarantee they won't promote this. They won't include iTunes whos sales of DRM tunes will remain constant and strong as always, universal will look at the figures and deduce that DRM FREE music doesnt sell well, and will continue to be dipwads.

Craig Kornplaster is an asshat.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Whatever. I might buy some if the price and bitrate are good.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Labels and retailers have locked horns over pricing before. This is more of the same.

In any case, I don't expect or want Apple to be the sole music retailer with a monopoly on online sales. Rest assured Apple is selling tracks for what it does because it's good for the company, and if it's incidentally good for the consumers and artists, well good for them.