Everyone see what Yahoo is reporting?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
iPhone Users Notice a Big Difference in Touchscreens

Thu Aug 2, 2007 3:53AM EDT

If you've been toying with the idea of buying an iPhone, here's something you want to read. Computerworld recently came across complaints that some iPhone touchscreens are better than others. Several iPhone users have posted images of side-by-side phone comparisons that show screens on iPhones with Panel ID 7 are darker, fuzzier, and display a visible grid of dots across the screen. Those who have noticed a significant difference in their iPhone's screen quality have taken their complaints to Apple's support forums, and some even went as far as exchanging their iPhone.

One way to find your iPhone's screen information is by tapping in *3001#12345#* on the phone keypad and hitting the Call button, which puts it into Field Test Mode where you'll find the "LCD panel ID" number. Phones with a panel IDs that start with 7 are the ones people are complaining about, while the those that begin with a 5 are brighter, sharper, and don't show a grid pattern. Computerworld says users have several theories about the faulty touchscreens, such as registration problems between the touchscreen and overlay to differences between screen suppliers. Toshiba, Sharp, Epson, and Matsushita Display Technology all supply Apple with screens for the iPhone, according to reports, so who knows which company is supplying the dimmer screen.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/16483

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    You can see more of the left side of the dimmer iPhone than the brighter one. So, either the phone on the left was angled away from the camera or the picture was taken centered over the brighter phone. I don't know how much brightness is lost by viewing the screen slightly off center but I'm going to say that the difference in brightness was exaggerated by how the picture was taken.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    yea I notices that also but I thought the field test was an interesting thing to check out.. Anyone know what all that stuff means?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Whew!... mine is a 5
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Mine is a 7
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Mine is a 7 and I haven't noticed anything wrong at all. It's still bright as I need it and the dots that are visible are incredibly small (so small I only notice them if I intentionally look at them).

Some people are just overly demanding.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twilli41 View Post

iPhone Users Notice a Big Difference in Touchscreens

Thu Aug 2, 2007 3:53AM EDT

This is a GREAT STORY of like 3 nutjobs posting on every forum in the universe to spread this story. They bounce from forum to forum to forum to forum to forum and post this!

It's amusing to watch them do this.

they are quite the manipulators.

The internet is a wonderful place.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    yea what assholes
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I went from a 7 to a 5 and it seems almost too bright to me now. I guess I'll get used to it but at first I kind of thought the colors were washed out compared to the old one. I just realized however that the grid is gone, so that's a huge plus.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    My phone starts with a 7... No dots anywhere, and plenty bright for use inside or out. I even have my brightness about half way because full brightness is way too much. Hmmm.....
  • Reply 10 of 22
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    There is a massive thread on this over at MR. Some are claiming that the 7 series is better for images / better colors. I don't have a 5 series to compare it to, but I do notice the poka-a-dots.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    So how are my chumps?*I mean how are my beta testers doing?

By the time the iPhone gets to Canada (i.e. sometime in the year 2010) all the kinks should be worked thanks to all of your hard work. Thanks!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    your welcome
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

So how are my chumps?*I mean how are my beta testers doing?

By the time the iPhone gets to Canada (i.e. sometime in the year 2010) all the kinks should be worked thanks to all of your hard work. Thanks!

Let me just check my email/upload images/etc.. on my 20$ unlimited wireless data plan. I used almost 1 GB of EDGE last month, and all it cost me was 20$
  • Reply 14 of 22
    mine starts with seven and I have looked like crazy to see pokadots or find dead spots on my screen. people without iPhones just love taking shots. bc, let's be honest, it gives me a huge phone penis ;-)
  • Reply 15 of 22
    It isn't all 7 series. I had a 716.... something like that and it was fine but had to get it replace do to dust under the glass and ended up with a 7455232 which seems to be the faulty one. AppleCare had me send it back and sent me a new one that was a 7455232 as well and now I am sending this one back.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I have the 7455232 and the screen brightness is about 50% up and its extremely bright. There is a "grid" that you can see but ONLY when outside, in direct sunlight and looking at an angle at the screen close up. You can't see the grid any other way.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    If you soak your screen in the saliva of a lactating lemur for a week and then zip it around a particle accelerator at just shy the speed of light, and then examine it under an electron microscope, you can see a tiny bit of yellowing at the corners in the 7 series. In the 5 series its more of a greenish yellow. I have a 7 series. Should I be concerned?

It's not really noticeable during normal use, but after a week in the saliva, a trip through the accelerator, and a thorough study under the electron microscope, 3 out of 100 people agreed with me that it was definately more yellow.

I notified AppleCare and I'm on my 534068th iPhone, but will likely have no choice but to return this one as well.

• Reply 18 of 22
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

You can see more of the left side of the dimmer iPhone than the brighter one. So, either the phone on the left was angled away from the camera or the picture was taken centered over the brighter phone. I don't know how much brightness is lost by viewing the screen slightly off center but I'm going to say that the difference in brightness was exaggerated by how the picture was taken.

If the LCD is drive from one side (assume on the right side), it is possible have some non-uniformity due to voltage drop. Most of the single side driver LCD got that problem. Usually not consider defective (not sure what is the spec of apple's). It can be "corrected" somewhat by drop down the intensity of the over all LCD, if the design allow the individual unit calibration ($).
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

If you soak your screen in the saliva of a lactating lemur for a week and then zip it around a particle accelerator at just shy the speed of light, and then examine it under an electron microscope, you can see a tiny bit of yellowing at the corners in the 7 series. In the 5 series its more of a greenish yellow. I have a 7 series. Should I be concerned?

It's not really noticeable during normal use, but after a week in the saliva, a trip through the accelerator, and a thorough study under the electron microscope, 3 out of 100 people agreed with me that it was definately more yellow.

I notified AppleCare and I'm on my 534068th iPhone, but will likely have no choice but to return this one as well.

What is it with you and lemurs?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

What is it with you and lemurs?

I didn't think anyone noticed.

Can't help but wonder, when all the lemurs got together on Madacsgar as it floated away from the African continent, did they wave goodbye like passengers on a cruise ship, or did they scurry around looking for spots? Certainly, a better subject for contemplation than whether my iPhone screen is sourced from a 5 or 7 series.