My battery: 97% after just 3 months??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everyone:

I'm worried about my LI battery in my MB. I have the newest iteration of the MacBook, and I love it. Except, after 3 months and 31 cycles, I'm already at 97%. I keep it plugged in strictly after 1 1/2 months of heavy battery use. Here are my reports:

1) System Profiler:

Battery Information:

Battery InstalledtYes

First low level warningtNo

Full Charge Capacity (mAh)t5093

Remaining Capacity (mAh)t5093

Amperage (mA)t0

Voltage (mV)t12535

Cycle Countt31

2) Coconut Battery

Current Battery Capacity: 5093 mAh

Original Battery Capacity: 5200 mAh

(97%)

Battery-Loadcycles: 31

Age of your Mac: 3 Months

How bad is this? 1% per month? I figured the battery wouldnt degrade that quickly. At what point should I demand a new battery from my applecare? Any help is appreciated, and feel free to post your own stats.

Ben

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    1% per month isn't that bad. Batteries aren't replaceable under AppleCare unless defective.

Most people get around 2yrs out of a battery before they replace it, in my experience. At 1% per month, that's 76% left. Most people by that time are looking at around 50%, it seems, so you're doing fine.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    My PB G4 1.5 GHz has 99.8% after 66 cycles. Not bad.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    iStat Pro says my health is 100% after 175 cycles. My battery is from NOV of 2006. I dont think mine is correct though.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    spugspug Posts: 8member
    So if AppleCare won't change the battery, who will? How much will it cost?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    1% a month seems pretty good. At that rate, it would have dropped to 50% capacity after about four years. I'd be happy if all my batteries lasted that long. (But happier if they lasted longer of course. )
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Folks, 97% is normal. The battery does not charge once it reaches over 95%.

There is nothing wrong with this battery. It has not "lost" 3% - this is by design.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    So i was curious by this and downloaded coconut to try myself, my MBP is 2 months old and has 43 cycles and is down to 93% capacity. Its weird that i consider myself very technical in many areas but do not have a clue about batteries. What is the best way to manage the life of a battery on a MBP?

A really simple (stuid?) question is what hapens if you leave the power plugged in whenever you can? does the laptop draw AC power or does it still take power from the battery and the battery just keeps charging.

Exactly what is a cycle? and why have i had 43 in 32 months?

Cheers