Tiger AND Leopard through Bootcamp or Parallels?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Since I just ordered a new iMac instead of waiting for Leopard, I'm looking for a reason to justify why. Here's what I came up with. Windows Vista is newer but it bites to use compared to XPsp2. I have both running on dual boot so I can learn Vista to help others stuck using it but I much prefer to use XP on my own. So, I'm trying to envision a scenario here where I made a good decision to get a new iMac now so that I will get a full version of stable Tiger, then when I buy Leopard in Nov. maybe I can run both through Bootcamp or Parallels. (Has any Beta tester tried running both? Does it work?) That way if for some reason Tiger is better for some things I can go back and forth. If I had waited to get an iMac later I wouldn't be able to buy Tiger and I'd be as screwed as the PC people looking for a copy of XP or MS Frontpage right now.

(ok, I know you're going to say that Leopard will be awsome and Apple isn't Microsoft, but before you post that remember I'm trying to justify ordering an iMac early!)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mattsmatts Posts: 37member
    Maybe it's just my ignorance but I'm not aware of a way to run Tiger and Leopard in a Bootcamp/Parallels kind of setup. Now or in the future.

It would be great if this was doable!

Having said that, there shouldn't be any problem either a) partitioning the harddrive when you get your new Mac and installing Tiger on one partition and later on Leopard on the other or b) simply keeping your new Mac as it is and then installing Leopard on an external harddrive when it becomes available.

In both cases you would get to select from which OS you prefer to start up your Mac by pressing option during the boot process.

However, the problem you would face is that your documents and settings etc would be trapped inside each respective OS environment, on to separate partitions or drives - as the two OS'es, of course, would operate as the totally separate installations they actually would be.

You could of course move your home directory (via a hack) onto a separate partition altogether, and have both OS'es read/write from/to this directory _as if it was their own_ with all the problems THAT might get you into.

Is there anyone with any knowledge about a Bootcamp/Parallels kind of setup for doing this?

-matts
  • Reply 2 of 4
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    I have read on the Parallels (or VmWare, don't remember) forums that both Parallels and VmWare have solutions to host Apple OSes as guests.

BUT These solutions will not be made available to customers, because Apple does not want to see such possibilities, and Parallels and VmWare want to stay "in good terms" with Apple.

I think that the only thing missing (but I'm not a virtualization expert) is EFI support. For now these tools only have BIOS support.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    In my last job I had a PowerMac G4 that I partitioned so it ran both Jaguar (10.2) and Panther (10.3).

I just used Disk Utility to partition the drive and installed each OS on the partitions. You can set which OS you boot from in the "Startup Disk" system preference panel, or by holding down ALT when booting.

I have no idea how it would work if you threw in a Windows partition as well - I don't have an Intel Mac to test with (yet).

Honestly though, once Leopard comes out (and is stable) there won't be much reason to keep using Tiger. The only reason I had partitions was for testing purposes in my job.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Honestly though, once Leopard comes out (and is stable) there won't be much reason to keep using Tiger. The only reason I had partitions was for testing purposes in my job.

When you support 1000+ staff using everything out there it helps to be able to look at what they are using when they call with "How do I..." I'd rather have 1 iMac on my desk than 2 Macs and a PC.