as predicted: no more need for 'Save'

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
as I assumed in some of my previous posts... :

did you recognize the paradigm change in the User Interface?

No more SAVE in iMovie...

In days, when 640kb were enough, you had to decide wisely, for what you have to spend your precious disk-space...

now, with the dawn of TimeMachine, with the dawn of TimeLine-centric file management ('Events'), the need for a Save button is gone..

... interesting..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic View Post

as I assumed in some of my previous posts... :

did you recognize the paradigm change in the User Interface?

No more SAVE in iMovie...

In days, when 640kb were enough, you had to decide wisely, for what you have to spend your precious disk-space...

now, with the dawn of TimeMachine, with the dawn of TimeLine-centric file management ('Events'), the need for a Save button is gone..

... interesting..

Without spending 20 minutes composing a reply, I'd just like to point out that a Movie Editor is a different workflow from a Word Processor or Email Client. While eliminating saving may work well in a Movie Editor, it may not in other applications.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

... a Movie Editor is a different workflow from a Word Processor or Email Client. ..

Is it?

ALL my projects are 'evolving', independently they contain words, pictures, moving pictures or all together... and: especially Word Processing doesn't need a 'fixed in time' status.. when writing a book, the version of last week is probably better than the version of yesterday which is probably better than the version of today.. and an Email is defined by the moment you sent it - why adding a mainly useless manually implied 'save' action...?

Quote:

... While eliminating saving may work well in a Movie Editor, it may not in other applications.

... I guess, it needs a few minutes more of your lifespan to explain why.

The speculation-threads about 10.5. are awhile ago, but I mentioned there: the 40y old 'Desktop' metaphore is dead. A single, 'unintelligent', Oscar's Trashbin? Just one moment in time for fixation a status? 'File' - what stand these beige card folders for? I'm doing projects, they contain all kind of.. 'data', they evolve constantly, I don't care for suffixes, the underlying technology has no right to determine my workflow..

... 'Events' and 'TimeMachine' are good signs for a 21st cent. implementation of thoughts, we all could read e.g. in Magazines as Wired in the mid 80ies, about the 'next level' of User Interfaces... beyond '17"-Coffeetables acting like a Desktop' .. my Desktops look different, organized different, act different.

... we'll see ...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Is it?

ALL my projects are 'evolving', independently they contain words, pictures, moving pictures or all together... and: especially Word Processing doesn't need a 'fixed in time' status.. when writing a book, the version of last week is probably better than the version of yesterday which is probably better than the version of today.. and an Email is defined by the moment you sent it - why adding a mainly useless manually implied 'save' action...?

The first example that springs to my mind is the "revert" function. I frequently want to revert something (generally text) to how it was when I last saved it, or when I opened it. A rolling system makes this impossible - I have no references in the saved file to know when to roll back to.

This also makes it harder to do a "Save As".

Also, in your book example, you appear to have it backwards: today is better than yesterday which is better than last week.

Quote:

... I guess, it needs a few minutes more of your lifespan to explain why.

The speculation-threads about 10.5. are awhile ago, but I mentioned there: the 40y old 'Desktop' metaphore is dead. A single, 'unintelligent', Oscar's Trashbin? Just one moment in time for fixation a status? 'File' - what stand these beige card folders for? I'm doing projects, they contain all kind of.. 'data', they evolve constantly, I don't care for suffixes, the underlying technology has no right to determine my workflow..

... 'Events' and 'TimeMachine' are good signs for a 21st cent. implementation of thoughts, we all could read e.g. in Magazines as Wired in the mid 80ies, about the 'next level' of User Interfaces... beyond '17"-Coffeetables acting like a Desktop' .. my Desktops look different, organized different, act different.

... we'll see ...

I don't deny that the metaphor is changing, I'm just saying that an outright removal of the "Save" step needs to be balanced so that we don't lose features. Any change in (or substitution of the metaphor) that is not adequately planned out could cause feature regressions. As you said, from your PoV, it's easy to miss where these regressions occur, but from my PoV, they appear obvious (as indicated by my foolishly thinking that my post's meaning was self-evident).

I agree with you that by the time I have kids and they're learning computers (10-15 years from now) we'll have a different metaphor. But a new metaphor has to be balanced in such a way as to retain the capabilities of the old one.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

.... A rolling system makes this impossible - I have no references in the saved file to know when to roll back to.....

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/...memachine.html

Quote:

.... I agree with you that by the time I have kids and they're learning computers (10-15 years from now) we'll have a different metaphor. ..

my kid does learn using 'media machines' right now.. he doesn't know, that his iPod has more computation power than the 3tons device in the SaturnV on mission to the moon; he doesn't care how much RAM his phone has; he doesn't care that his Dad's car needs a firmware update.. there's no such thing as 'a computer' anymore ...

Quote:

.... But a new metaphor has to be balanced in such a way as to retain the capabilities of the old one.

a 100% ack.

to bookmark within a timeline? yes. to 'fix' a status of a project? no.

and: I shouldn't forget, that most people don't know anymore, that 'Desktop' is a very cheap way of imitating reallife processes; ... and there are many, many other ways to construct and concept a User Interface, the sheer, brutal computation power of nowadays machines allow marvelous things (see iPhone...) in terms of Man-Machine-Communictions...