OS wont launch

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Stuck on the blue screen with the Mac OS loading progress bar, which doesn't move. I've tried rebooting several times, tried rebooting from the install CD, nothing works. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grimson View Post

Stuck on the blue screen with the Mac OS loading progress bar, which doesn't move. I've tried rebooting several times, tried rebooting from the install CD, nothing works. Any ideas?

Try booting from the cd, and then using disk utility to verify/repair your HD. Send back results.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Thanks. I couldnt boot from the cd, but I made it a target drive by firewiring it to my (older) iMac. I ran disk utility and repaired the hard drive, but upon trying to start it again, the same thing happened.

I should have mentioned what started all this. I ran software update, which included an OS update. Only after running it, and the OS update giving me an error message, did I realize the update was for Intel based Macs, which mine isn't. I tried to restart the iBook but everything froze. I tried to do a force quit of Firefox, but accidentally force-quit the Finder. That's the last time anything worked. I tried to do a hard power down and restart, leading to the freeze on the blue screen every time.

So basically I screwed up in several ways.