MacBook Pro - Buy or Wait?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I have the option of buying my Macbook Pro tmrw, but is it possible and/or likely that Apple will refresh the Macbook Pros by mid-September? Really don't want to buy it and then realize I could've bought a better one!

Thanx,

rum_an

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Last update June 05, 2007 I think it's safe to say it's not going to be updated anytime soon.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Last update June 05, 2007 I think it's safe to say it's not going to be updated anytime soon.

But....
  • Reply 3 of 24
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I thought it was reported that Apple said in one of it's conference calls that they hoped to refresh the entire line of Macs by the end of the September quarter? Did I just imagine this?

I just told a friend to wait it out another month before buying a MBP. At least until Leopard comes out because he has already waited a year.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    If you're going to wait at all, wait until Leopard. But I wouldn't realistically expect an actual hardware update until early 2008, when mobile Penryn (i.e. 45nm Core 2 Duo) is available.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I thought it was reported that Apple said in one of it's conference calls that they hoped to refresh the entire line of Macs by the end of the September quarter? Did I just imagine this?

I just told a friend to wait it out another month before buying a MBP. At least until Leopard comes out because he has already waited a year.

I just listened to the last call after reading your post. (52 minutes) The last call was on July 25th, But I didn't hear anyone say that all Mac's will be updated by September. They didn't mention anything other than saying they had some product transitions that they could not get into at this time.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I just listened to the last call after reading your post. (52 minutes) The last call was on July 25th, But I didn't hear anyone say that all Mac's will be updated by September. They didn't mention anything other than saying they had some product transitions that they could not get into at this time.

Thanks onlooker. That is AI brotherhood at it's best.

However, check out this story on AppleInsider a few weeks ago. Article quoted below for easy access.

Do you think the part about the entire Mac line-up getting a refresh was speculation? I assume it was since it was said by an anlyst. I guess this is where I got the idea in head.

Btw, I love this new thin keyboard. I love the shortcuts to volume and what not and I find myself just wanting to type on it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. is gearing up for several major product releases during the current quarter that should help drive earnings and higher share prices, including an overhaul to iMac and new full-screen iPods, according to investment bank Goldman Sachs.

"iPhone hype notwithstanding, with the heart of Apple?s product cycle about to begin, we want to stay with the stock," analyst David Bailey told clients in a research note Thursday. "In the September quarter, Apple will finish up a refresh of its entire Mac line-up, rounding it out with a redesigned iMac."

The analyst, who did not cite sources, said he also expects the company to launch a new family of iPods around the same time, which will pack significantly greater functionality at current price points,

"including the much-anticipated full screen video iPod."

Following Apple's earnings announcement and disclosure of initial iPhone sales figures on Wednesday, Bailey reduced his iPhone shipment forecast for the 2008 calendar year by 1 million units to 11 million units. However, he said Mac and iPod cycles still appear strong enough to generate higher volumes on their own.

"Stronger-than-expected retail traffic, a virtually complete revitalization in education, and the impact of Adobe?s CS3 in the commercial space should continue to drive better Mac sales and higher market share," the analyst wrote. "On the iPod side, we?ve changed our view about the level of cannibalization from iPhone based on early indications, particularly from the supply chain, about the coming video iPod which should be capable of driving an accelerated upgrade cycle."

Bailey also used Thursday's research note to increase his 2007 and 2008 calendar year per-share earnings estimates on the Mac maker to $3.71 and $4.30 from $3.58 and $4.30, respectively. However, the analyst said he found Apple's after-hours stock jump on Wednesday to be "somewhat perplexing" and would not be surprised to see the shares back off in the near term.

"That said, we do not expect our current earnings increase to be the last one, with even our current numbers yielding a new 12-month target price of $165 rolling the current multiple over to 2008 earnings," he wrote.

Bailey maintained his Buy rating on shares of Apple.

• Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Thanks onlooker. That is AI brotherhood at it's best.

However, check out this story on AppleInsider a few weeks ago. Article quoted below for easy access.

Do you think the part about the entire Mac line-up getting a refresh was speculation? I assume it was since it was said by an anlyst. I guess this is where I got the idea in head.

Btw, I love this new thin keyboard. I love the shortcuts to volume and what not and I find myself just wanting to type on it.

It says 'finish up a refresh' which means that some of the updates have already been done MB in May, MBP in June, iMac and mini in Aug, which leaves only the MP (although I would love to see another MB before 2008).

I HIGHLY doubt the MBP will be updated before MWSF.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    I'm waiting on a smaller MBP. We still haven't seen those 13" LEDs Apple ordered a coupla months back on anything yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave us Leopard & a 13" MBP/ultra-thin at the same time to boost cross-sales.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rum_an View Post

I have the option of buying my Macbook Pro tmrw, but is it possible and/or likely that Apple will refresh the Macbook Pros by mid-September? Really don't want to buy it and then realize I could've bought a better one!

Same old question, same old answer: If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't, then wait.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Same old question, same old answer: If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't, then wait.

i'm waiting untill leopard comes out. i plan on buying the black macbook, i'm hopeing for an update, i mean the update was so little to the macbook. i hope they put led backlights and santa rosa, and mabye a dedicated video card for those gamers out there.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I HIGHLY doubt the MBP will be updated before MWSF.

Sound's about right. Although I can't seem to get my hands on the current one...The three I ordered through work (a K-12 institution) on July 5th haven't shipped yet. Meanwhile posters on other Mac forums that ordered theirs like a week and half ago are getting shipping notices. In the past this delay in the K-12 sector means product update...
  • Reply 12 of 24
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Sound's about right. Although I can't seem to get my hands on the current one...The three I ordered through work (a K-12 institution) on July 5th haven't shipped yet. Meanwhile posters on other Mac forums that ordered theirs like a week and half ago are getting shipping notices. In the past this delay in the K-12 sector means product update...

I'd bet that Apple is having a hard time meeting demand. Did you order the entry level MBP? That's an especially good value IMO, and I could see them having trouble getting them out.

I don't know what Apple could be updating these machines as mobile Penryns are still not released from Intel. Who knows maybe Jobso will drop some Turions in the MBP and surprise us all.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I could see them having trouble getting them out.

That's probably the case. But a school shouldn't have to wait two months to get a product ? especially when everyone else is getting them fairly quickly.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

That's probably the case. But a school shouldn't have to wait two months to get a product — especially when everyone else is getting them fairly quickly.

Everyone else is paying full price. That's probably the difference. They could be keeping the stores stocked so that they can maximize the non-discounted sales.

I do hope you get yours soon though.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I am having the same problem, i need a laptop for university but i don't want to end up having to get Leopard separately or even buying a computer 1-3 months before the refresh. Is there a way to fill the gap of time?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodus View Post

I wouldn't realistically expect an actual hardware update until early 2008, when mobile Penryn (i.e. 45nm Core 2 Duo) is available.

I agree. We won't see any MacBook or MacBook Pro updates until Penryn is shipping. If you want one now, buy one now.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zidane1989 View Post

I am having the same problem, i need a laptop for university but i don't want to end up having to get Leopard separately or even buying a computer 1-3 months before the refresh. Is there a way to fill the gap of time?

You won't be doing any serious work until October time anyhow and I'm sure the Uni has plenty of CIS facilties for you to use in the interim.

You've got freshers' parties to worry about these next two months not Macs!
  • Reply 18 of 24
    2 of the three MBPs shipped early this morning.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    rum_anrum_an Posts: 12member
    Hey guys, picked up the Macbook Pro last week. Glad I did.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rum_an View Post

Hey guys, picked up the Macbook Pro last week. Glad I did.

Try it for a while and tell us what your impressions are. Where you previously a Windows user?