Copy & Paste!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have written this on digg a couple of times, here on AI before (once, buried in a thread somewhere), and I other places too, but I think it warrants a thread of its own as it's important.

To cut/copy/delete on the iPhone (and yes I wrote it well before that funny video came along, and my UI design is different to that also) you bring-up the magnifying-glass, position at the starting point, then you add a second finger to the screen - the iPhone senses the second finger, but keeps the magnifier centered with the first finger (it's multi-touch) - with the iPhone in 'select-mode' and without lifting either of these (your) two fingers, you drag to the end point (at which you want to finish your text selection) (the UI highlights the selected piece of text in baby-blue - just like on your computer). When you are certain you have the magnifying-glass positioned correctly at the end point, you lift both fingers (do not worry about lifting one finger first as the iPhone wont allow the other finger to accidentally move the magnifying-glass after the first finger breaks contact), when both fingers are off the screen a cut/copy/delete/cancel dialog pops up with, you choose an option.

To paste, you bring-up the magnifying-glass, position it at the point which you want to paste your clipboard text, and tap and release a second finger on the screen (without dragging the magnifying-glass) and a paste/cancel dialog pops up.

P.S. as to not confuse pea-brains like Paris Hilton, when Apple adds this feature through an update, it is set to 'Off' by default and Apple then release a new instruction video on Apple.com explaining how-to. "To turn on copy & paste you go to settings..."

Now get on it Apple before you get slaps

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    edit: thought you were saying this was something you actually had working, Ireland...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post

edit: thought you were saying this was something you actually had working, Ireland...

If I convinced you of that, then it must be good idea.