Leopard Requirements Afraid Macbook too old

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea or tried out the pre-release version of Leopard since I only got a macbook 1.87 Intel Core Duo about a year ago... I know I should have waiting for Core2, but it's too late now.

Anyone have any ideas if I need to upgrade for the next OS X release?

Thanks-

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    You won't 'need' to as it is an intel processor. It might be a little slower than optimum, but it is what you think that matters. I would certainly wait for the next gen of macbooks if you do decide to upgrade, but yours will be ok to run it.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    it will work just fine, Wong
  • Reply 3 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Leopard is actually faster than Tiger and it runs very well on a 1.66 Mini so a 1.83 Macbook is fine. It's not Vista we're talking about.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    What about a 1.5 G4 PB or a rev a G5 2.0 iMac? I think that iMac will be fine and the PB has 2 gigs of memory.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

What about a 1.5 G4 PB or a rev a G5 2.0 iMac? I think that iMac will be fine and the PB has 2 gigs of memory.

The iMac is fine for sure. The PB might be a little hard, but should run Leopard as well.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

The iMac is fine for sure. The PB might be a little hard, but should run Leopard as well.

Will a 1.67gh power book with 1.25 gb memory work with leopard?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    1.5 ghz PB with 1.5 gb ram ftw!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    You've got plenty of processing power. You might want a RAM upgrade if you don't have more than 1GB, depending on what you're wanting to do with Leopard.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post

Will a 1.67gh power book with 1.25 gb memory work with leopard?

There's no question that it'll run, the question is whether or not it'll be as fast as, or faster than Tiger. It'll run on any G4 faster than 1GHz, but it's a question of whether or not it'll be tolerable. My guess is that my iBook is gonna be tough, but that's partially because I don't have CI/QE support. I'm hoping to retire it for a Macbook.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

There's no question that it'll run, the question is whether or not it'll be as fast as, or faster than Tiger. It'll run on any G4 faster than 1GHz, but it's a question of whether or not it'll be tolerable.

Am I to understand that my 1GHz PB G4 with 768 MB RAM likely won't run Leopard well or at all?

/Still on Panther, FTR.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Usually every update is faster than the previous version.

Requirements for Leopard are 867MHz G4, G5 or Intel processor and 512MB RAM.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C-Bear View Post

Am I to understand that my 1GHz PB G4 with 768 MB RAM likely won't run Leopard well or at all?

Similar configuration. What gives?

Edit: JLL, just saw your post, thanks. I'm really at the bottom of those requirements. But I've had the same experience as you with each version being faster than the previous so I hope it stays that way.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    It's pretty good that a 4-5 year old Mac is at least capable of running Leopard, compare that with Vista where people buying new computers needed to ask "Is this Vista capable?" only months before it came out.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Can people read system requirement specs?

No G3 based system will be "officially" supported.

All G4 based systems will be "officially" supported.

It is recommended to have the most current hardware.

My 1Ghz G4 iBook is supported so your MacBook [newer technologies] is supported.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Recommended by whom? So I have to throw my MBP Core Duo out because it's not the "most current" hardware?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Can people read system requirement specs?

No G3 based system will be "officially" supported.

All G4 based systems will be "officially" supported.

It is recommended to have the most current hardware.

My 1Ghz G4 iBook is supported so your MacBook [newer technologies] is supported.

• Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Recommended by whom? So I have to throw my MBP Core Duo out because it's not the "most current" hardware?

No dumbass. I was making the point that people think you have to and showing by comparing my iBook it's clear you don't have to.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    well dah...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No dumbass. I was making the point that people think you have to and showing by comparing my iBook it's clear you don't have to.

• Reply 18 of 20
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Usually every update is faster than the previous version.

Requirements for Leopard are 867MHz G4, G5 or Intel processor and 512MB RAM.

Criminy! Guess it may be time to put the old 1Ghz G4 iMac out to pasture!

• Reply 19 of 20
    Until this year I was using a G4 867MHz with 1152Mb RAM and it ran 10.4 with no problem. I now have a Macbook 2.16GHz. The G4 ran Tiger with no problems, it just missed out on stuff like dashboard ripple because of its graphics card.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    As far as I'm considered, if you bought a computer that came with Leopard on it, running Tiger will be now problem.