tax in the apple online store?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i've never bought anything from the apple store, so i'm curious, is there taxes added for people ordering out of the united states ( from canada )? I'm interested in buying the black macbook before the nano deal is done cause i start school in a week and my old computer has been dead for a month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

i've never bought anything from the apple store, so i'm curious, is there taxes added for people ordering out of the united states ( from canada )? I'm interested in buying the black macbook before the nano deal is done cause i start school in a week and my old computer has been dead for a month.

Go to the Apple Store (on-line) and put something in your cart and put in your address and ask to figure the tax and you should be able to get an answer that way. Worth a try.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Go to the Apple Store (on-line) and put something in your cart and put in your address and ask to figure the tax and you should be able to get an answer that way. Worth a try.

worked. no tax. thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    US tax rules...

If they have a brick-and-mortar store in YOUR taxing district (usually that will mean your state.), then they have to charge that local tax rate. If they do NOT have a brick-and-mortar store in your area, then you don't have to pay sales tax on-line. I'd guess something similiar works across the northern border since you paid no tax. NAFTA and all
  • Reply 4 of 7
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    South Carolina has no Apple Stores (yet), but we must still pay sales tax on Apple.com. Perhaps they count the Apple Stores in CompUSA?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

South Carolina has no Apple Stores (yet), but we must still pay sales tax on Apple.com. Perhaps they count the Apple Stores in CompUSA?

i have apple stores in my province ( canada state ), mabye it's because it's a u.s. based which means us canadians don't have to pay for tax or something.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:

i have apple stores in my province ( canada state ), mabye it's because it's a u.s. based which means us canadians don't have to pay for tax or something.

That must be the _only_ thing you guys up North don't pay taxes on.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

The online US Apple store will not ship to Canada. You'll have to use the Canadian online store.

Nice try on the tax dodge but, even if they would ship, you'd still get charged the GST/PST when it crossed the border.

Canada Customs & Revenue Agency - with an emphasis on Revenue.