Monitoring

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was wondering if there is an app I can keep on my desktop that monitors my CPU/Memory and other stats thats lightweight. I know they make widgets but I dont like to use my dashboard because its a memory hog.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattc908 View Post

I was wondering if there is an app I can keep on my desktop that monitors my CPU/Memory and other stats thats lightweight. I know they make widgets but I dont like to use my dashboard because its a memory hog.

You can set Activity Monitor's Dock Icon to show you any of a variety of stats, including CPU use, Network usage, disk usage, and memory usage. You can set it under View -> Dock Icon. There's also a CPU usage bar you can set up (press Cmd-4 or Cmd-5) that sits in a corner and floats atop windows. However, for all of these, you have to keep Activity Monitor open (but you can close the window, so long as the app itself is open.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Try iStat Menus. From the website:

"iStat menus lets you monitor your system right from the menubar. Included are 8 menu extras that let you monitor every aspect of your system."