New keyboard - Wired or wireless?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey,

I'm going to switch to the Mac soon and I plan on buying the new iMac. However, I'm trying to decide which keyboard should I buy - the wired one, or maybe the wireless?

I've been using wireless keyboards for a long time and I like them (they give you more mobility and no cords, though I don't think it's a "must" for me). The problem is I understand that all the "special keys" were removed from the wireless keyboard (expose, dashboard etc.) and they seem to be very useful.

What do you think? Should I skip the special keys and go for the wireless, or maybe just the other way around?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

Hey,

I'm going to switch to the Mac soon and I plan on buying the new iMac. However, I'm trying to decide which keyboard should I buy - the wired one, or maybe the wireless?

I've been using wireless keyboards for a long time and I like them (they give you more mobility and no cords, though I don't think it's a "must" for me). The problem is I understand that all the "special keys" were removed from the wireless keyboard (expose, dashboard etc.) and they seem to be very useful.

What do you think? Should I skip the special keys and go for the wireless, or maybe just the other way around?

Thanks.

There's a thread and/ or a bunch of posts on AppleInsider relating to the keyboard. If you can't find it by browsing, click on Search and enter Keyboard.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The special keys aren't removed, all that has been removed is the number pad on the right (among other things) and the 'big' cursor keys. If you'll want to play games much on your Mac you'll need the big cursors, if not then the small ones will do. Other than that the only question you have to ask yourself is whether you 'really' want a big number pad or not? I'm typing this on the new wired keyboard, but when I get my new iMac I'm getting the wireless one, go figure.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The special keys aren't removed, all that has been removed is the number pad on the right (among other things) and the 'big' cursor keys. If you'll want to play games much on your Mac you'll need the big cursors, if not then the small ones will do. Other than that the only question you have to ask yourself is whether you 'really' want a big number pad or not? I'm typing this on the new wired keyboard, but when I get my new iMac I'm getting the wireless one, go figure.

How do you know that?

I've heard the special keys are removed. Do you have some photo of the wireless keyboard? I didn't find any on Apple's site...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Apple Wireless Mouse and Keyboard Tips and Tricks

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/.../wireless.html

===================

Apple Wireless Keyboard from Apple Price: $79.00

Estimated Ship: 4-6 weeks Free Shipping

Apple Wireless Keyboard from online stores:

CompUSA

$59.99 | In stock: Yes

CDW Corporation

$59.00 | In stock: Yes

MAC Connection

==========================
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I'd like to get the wired international keyboard. Back when they were introduced someone posted a picture of the intl. keyboard and it retains the beloved Apple key. I can't find a big picture of the intl. keyboard anymore, and would like to see what all the keys are.

Part number from the UK store is MB110Z/A.

Anyone in the US bothered to get the intl. keyboard?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Ireland,

How familiar are you with the wireless board? Is there a way to page up / page down / Home / End ?

what are the F4, F5, and F6 function keys? What is the fn key (lower left)?

Did the site where you found the pic of the board explain the functions?

Thanks
  • Reply 8 of 12
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The special keys aren't removed, all that has been removed is the number pad on the right (among other things) and the 'big' cursor keys. If you'll want to play games much on your Mac you'll need the big cursors, if not then the small ones will do.

I guess I missed that memo. Small cursor keys, as long as they are in the regular inverted-T setup, are every bit as good as far as I'm concerned. And what game needs them? All I can think of from the near past that I have played with the arrow keys were obscure Japanese arcade shoot'em ups. Everything else tends to work better with WASD.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

Hey,

Thanks.

For me the wired keyboard is better option because with wireless you lose the 2 usb 2.0 ports. That along makes it worth getting the wired. All the fuctions are there for the exception of the extended number keypad.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Ireland,

How familiar are you with the wireless board? Is there a way to page up / page down / Home / End ?

what are the F4, F5, and F6 function keys? What is the fn key (lower left)?

If it's the same than Apple laptop keyboards, fn toggles the special function keys to regular function keys for the duration you press it. This can be reversed in preferences so the keyboard presents you with function keys, and you reach the special functions with fn. This is great news on a desktop keyboard since now you can have the Apple controls quickly accessible, yet use regular F keys when an individual app wants them (I have had to go and unbind Expose for the duration of using Eclipse, for instance), or bind your own quick access stuff there.

And if it's the same than the laptop keyboards, fn+up/down is page up/down, fn+left is home and fn+right is end. My desktop and laptop keyboard are both like that, works well. I don't feel slowed down any since fn works with the left hand, the arrow keys with the right. My keyboard has a right-handed fn too so it's possible to use the keys with one hand if necessary. That's not present on the laptops but I'd use it so rarely that it hasn't bothered me. It's weird they didn't label the buttons though. It would be a dealbreaker if it didn't do pgup/pgdn but I don't believe they'd screw that up.

The logo on the F4 key is Dashboard. As the F5 and F6 don't have logoes, I'd guess there are no special functions bound to them. It's an interesting question if you can, though. I think it would be confusing if you would get F5 by pressing the F5 button, yet didn't get F4 when you pressed that button.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

If it's the same than Apple laptop keyboards,

Thanks. Caught - I can't hide the fact that I've never used a laptop.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

===================

Apple Wireless Keyboard from Apple Price: $79.00

Estimated Ship: 4-6 weeks Free Shipping

Apple Wireless Keyboard from online stores:

CompUSA

$59.99 | In stock: Yes

CDW Corporation

MAC Connection

==========================

The alternative stores have the $59.00 price on the old version. The new version isn't in stock at any of the stores and are priced at $79.00 The one you quoted from The Apple Store is the new version.