I need help, switching from windows, I think im gonna die

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
First off, Im a windows power user, and I just got my mac today, And this is HELL. I feel like if i try to do anything thats not what the "end user" would do its the hardest thing in the world. Im dying trying to do a bunch of things like, Make the font in my buddy list smaller(adium), Import my del.icou.us bookmarks into firefox (I cant find the damn firefox folder!) as a matter in fact, I cant find any application folders for any programs I installed....all I can find Is the "disk"...which is now stuck on my desktop, and I dont want the disk shortcuts on my desktop. Im having a ton of problems and im only about one hour into this....ahhhhh...i try googling for help for a lot of my problems but im not really finding any help. I still have a ton of things to do like transfer my 80+ gigs of music from my windows box, install about 10x programs including an itunes alternative ( damn that i tunes is horrendous, it locks up on any encounter with an ogg file.)

sorry about the long rant/ whiny post but im going insane right now, If anyone could help me with at least the problems noted above I would greatly GREATLY appreciate it.

also I forgot to mention...I cant figure out how to make the mac equivlent of a windows "shortcut" I tried to drag my documents file from finder to my desktop and it dissapeard =[ also, I cant drag it back in from my user name> documents. agggggggghhh

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Too much to process... brain shorting out...
  • Reply 2 of 27
    (>.<)

where is the best place for me to save downloaded programs...im saving them to my user name > documents folder right now....also I just got vlc (quicktime is lacking)...and x torrent...is x torrent the best torrent client? I know I read it was good somewhere but im not sure.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

(>.<)

where is the best place for me to save downloaded programs...im saving them to my user name > documents folder right now....also I just got vlc (quicktime is lacking)...and x torrent...is x torrent the best torrent client? I know I read it was good somewhere but im not sure.

Are you talking about the downloaded installers or the actual application? The actual installed application should be saved in the Applications folder......which BTW is where you should find your Firefox installation.

Documents is normally where you store your um, documents.

As for your problem creating an "alias" (aka, Windows shortcut) you can either click on the file and then choose File >> Make Alias...then move it where ever, or you can drag the file while holding down the Option + Command keys.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Are you talking about the downloaded installers or the actual application? The actual installed application should be saved in the Applications folder......which BTW is where you should find your Firefox installation.

Documents is normally where you store your um, documents.

As for your problem creating an "alias" (aka, Windows shortcut) you can either click on the file and then choose File >> Make Alias...then move it where ever, or you can drag the file while holding down the Option + Command keys.

ok thanks for that, for some reason i though alias would be like rename...idk why...I guess because thats what it is when yo use AIM....anyway...my firefox disk is on my desktop not in my applications folder and i cant delete it or move it
  • Reply 5 of 27
    OK, take a breath...

Then... take another breath...

Then talk a walk or do some meditation...

Calm yet? Relaxed?

Ok, now stay that way and start out by reading this.

Then play with your new mac and get a feel for the system.

No this is NOT windows and things WORK DIFFERENTLY, so take the time to learn your new OS and don't expect things to work the windows way. Soon enough it will grow on you that your new mac in lots of ways is actually way simpler to use than windows. You hold on and give it a fair chance. You will be rewarded. Anything unclear after? Come back here and ask away.....

Hint 1: on a mac, you install downloaded software by dragging the program from the .dmg (diskimage) file you just opened to the programs folder. The .dmg file is just a virtual installation disk.

Hint 2: command (the key with the small apple) + comma opens the preferences of any program.

Hint 3: learn the mac keyboard shortcuts.

Hint 4: drag'n drop. Know it, live it.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

ok thanks for that, for some reason i though alias would be like rename...idk why...I guess because thats what it is when yo use AIM....anyway...my firefox disk is on my desktop not in my applications folder and i cant delete it or move it

Disk images need to be unmounted (ejected) to remove. Right click and choose "Eject Firefox", or whatever it named it. The way applications are installed is different on a Mac than on Windows. A disk image is mounted, then you run the installer from the disk image. When the application is done installing, you eject the disk image. The application should then be in your Application folder.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Maybe this will help: Disk Image (.dmg) == virtual floppy/CD. You mount a CD, you copy from it, you eject it. You don't mount it and then keep it in your drive all the time.

If you run an application from a disk image, the Mac will keep looking for that disk image to launch it again... and if the disk image isn't there, it will automount it. You need to copy the application to your hard drive first, then eject the disk image using the same mechanisms you would use to eject a CD: Select the mounted volume and then Cmd-E, drag to Trash, or press the Eject key on the keyboard (above Delete).
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Maybe this will help: Disk Image (.dmg) == virtual floppy/CD. You mount a CD, you copy from it, you eject it. You don't mount it and then keep it in your drive all the time.

As with most of the cases mac simplifies things, when windows has different ways to handle every media, mac usually has only one. So most applications are delivered on disk images, they work the same way as a CD would, USB sticks, firewire disks, pretty much every media would. They have to be inserted or mounted as Unix world calls it, and after use they need to be ejected.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

also I forgot to mention...I cant figure out how to make the mac equivlent of a windows "shortcut" I tried to drag my documents file from finder to my desktop and it dissapeard =[ also, I cant drag it back in from my user name> documents. agggggggghhh

If you want to put an app in the Dock ready for use, you don't have to use an alias. Drag the app from Applications to the Left side of the Dock. It won't have the alias arrow, but it ISN'T the app itself. That's still back in Applications. If later, you want to remove it from the Dock, drag it to the desk. It will vanish in a puff of smoke, but, again, the original is still safe back in Application..

Another way to have your frequently used apps all in one place is:

1. Start a folder in User. Call it something like "Current Apps" . Whatever would remind you what it is.

2. Put aliases of your frequently used apps in the folder

3. Drag the folder into the right side of the Dock (Leopard will have this as a feature)

4. When you want to boot an app that's in that folder, right click on it, and click on the app. The app will boot and the 'Current Apps' folder will close.

5. This will keep your Dock from being cluttered with all the apps you want easy access to.

To AI members: It's been a long time since I did this on my computer. If you find an error in the above, please advise.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:

sorry about the long rant/ whiny post but im going insane right now

Switch to decaf.

Being a power user on Windows equates to absolutely zip on the Mac. Get the "missing manual" book or some such and read.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Switch to decaf.

Being a power user on Windows equates to absolutely zip on the Mac. Get the "missing manual" book or some such and read.

Good idea to get a manual. When I got my first Mac, I found that a manual helped. Browsing through it will acquaint you with a load of stuff that you would never have known about - aside from the day to day cut and paste stuff. I tried several, but the best one (touted by the techs at my job) was written by Robin Williams (NO, not the comedian).

BTW, blackmajik2021, after a beginner's learning curve, you'll find that a lot of stuff is intuitive. Like everyone says: A Mac just works.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    eh....ubuntu is still my fav
  • Reply 13 of 27
    You haven't had your Mac long enough to warrant any wacky assumptions. Give it time. It takes a few days to adjust to this new (and superb, I must say) environment.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    How to move music to new computer:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

Use an External Hard Disk or DVD-Rs if you don't have a (large enough) iPod.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    "Azureus" for torrents ... it's a resource hog, but a good interface, and it works well.

There's a "Help" menu at the top of your screen .... it's different depending on which App is active... (like "Finder" for instance.) ... It opens an Apple "Help" program ... for questions regarding OSX or iLife apps or your Mac (as opposed to internet/other software) this will get you more reliable/specific information than Google
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

How to move music to new computer:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

Use an External Hard Disk or DVD-Rs if you don't have a (large enough) iPod.

hahaha I have 100 gigs of music dvd-r's....yeah right
  • Reply 17 of 27
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

hahaha I have 100 gigs of music dvd-r's....yeah right

Well that was the second option. I'm sure you have it all backed up to external drives anyhow.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Well that was the second option. I'm sure you have it all backed up to external drives anyhow.

*has no external drives*
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

*has no external drives*

Well, I'm not sure if this will work with windows/mac compatibility, but download this trial program and boot your mac in disk mode (hold 't' at boot) and plug it in via firewire, and you should be able to use your mac's HD as a removable HD. I tried this once, but it didn't work because this program has compatibility issues with daemon tools and Alchol120, both of which I had installed.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    I just wanted to point out that you did switch OS's. It's not going to be a 2 hour process. It's going to take time, simply because it's different. Just take your time learning the new system, and you'll be groovin' like a pro.