Will Safri 3 be available for OSX Tiger?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Will it be sent our with a patch? or download off the website, or will we be left only with the the beta, and have to give in and buy leopard to use it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Finalblink View Post

Will it be sent our with a patch? or download off the website, or will we be left only with the the beta, and have to give in and buy leopard to use it?

I fear you might be left with the beta.

Anyone remember what happened at the Jaguar -> Panther upgrade?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    damn man thats gonna suck. Im not gonna do the beta (it is a beta, not complete still some bugs) but damn I really wish they would have up on the site to download like with iTunes or Quicktime after they complete it
  • Reply 3 of 10
    No, they will. They'll have to. How could they offer it to WINDOWS users for free, and force their Mac users to pay?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Finalblink View Post

damn man thats gonna suck. Im not gonna do the beta (it is a beta, not complete still some bugs) but damn I really wish they would have up on the site to download like with iTunes or Quicktime after they complete it

I've been using the beta since it was offered. I haven't found that many bugs and have been quite pleased with using it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    It should be free. But since Apple historically gouges its consumers, don't expect it for Tiger.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

I fear you might be left with the beta.

Anyone remember what happened at the Jaguar -> Panther upgrade?

Do you remember what happened at the Panther -> Tiger upgrade?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Do you remember what happened at the Panther -> Tiger upgrade?

Erm - I was actually asking if anyone remembered at Jaguar -> Panther, as I didn't! All I know is there was a beta Safari on Jaguar, but I don't believe they ever got a final version.

Panther -> Tiger left Panther with an older version, but I didn't see that as particularly relevant since there wasn't a newer beta on Panther (that I recall).
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I think Safari (i.e. WebKit) is mature enough that new versions will be true stand-alone applications that can be developed independent of the OS and as long as Apple is supporting an OS, starting with Tiger, it will be able to run the latest version of Safari.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Panther -> Tiger left Panther with an older version, but I didn't see that as particularly relevant since there wasn't a newer beta on Panther (that I recall).

Tiger didn't leave Panther with an older version. When Tiger was released with Safari 2.0 Panther got Safari 1.3 with the same rendering engine.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Steve Jobs was quite clear in his keynote about the final version being available as a download for Windows users and Tiger users. You can also find this statement in the press release here:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/11safari.html

5 paragraph reads: "The final version of Safari 3 will be available as a feature in the upcoming Mac OS® X version 10.5 Leopard, and will be available as a free download to Mac OS X Tiger and Windows users in October."