Apple releases iPhone Software Update version 1.0.2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Focusing on stability ahead of new features, Apple on Tuesday began providing iPhone owners with yet another small maintenance software update.

iPhone Software version 1.0.2 is available by docking your iPhone to your Mac (or PC), selecting the device in iTunes, and then hitting "Check for Update."

The agenda for the latest update? "Bug fixes," according to the release notes.

The update takes about a minute or so, half of which is spent "verifying" the handset's existing iPhone software. Therefore, iPhone owners who've 'hacked' or otherwise modified their software may first need to restore their iPhone software before applying the update.

Tuesday's iPhone update is the second for Apple in as many months. The company in late July issued iPhone version 1.0.1 which added subtle refinements and major fixes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    awalawal Posts: 66member
    hey kids, this is an infinite loop:

while (me.feel() != "excited") \

class dismissed.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Quote:

Focusing on stability ahead of new features,

What exactly does this mean? Are they prepping it for more features in a soon to be released update, or does it indicate they have given priority to bug fixes over introducing new features.

So I guess do they mean 'ahead' is "in the future" or "priority to"
  • Reply 3 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There's a new 3G menu option in settings.

(and yes, that was a joke)
  • Reply 4 of 38
    heyjpheyjp Posts: 39member
    I think that was just an observation that Apple is more concerned with stability of the iPhone and bug fixes than trying to add new features... as evidenced by 2 bug fix releases since Jun 29 but no new features.

Jim
  • Reply 5 of 38
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    What does it mean, it means they are trying to stop the hackers as hackers=instability...
  • Reply 6 of 38
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    FLASH SUPPORT

• Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

FLASH SUPPORT

No thanks. I have no need for Flash.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Especially with Apple's partnership (being bribed) with YouTube, I'd say you won't see Flash support for quite some time.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

FLASH SUPPORT

right-on, but i think that's more of an Adobe thing at the moment.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mroberto1 View Post

Especially with Apple's partnership (being bribed) with YouTube, I'd say you won't see Flash support for quite some time.

I think it has less to do with partnerships and more with wanting to promote standards over proprietary formats that Apple doesn't own. Why help Adobe monopolize the web?

Besides, I think there's a world of difference between saying "Flash support" and what the real user experience of using Flash on a mobile device would be. Most mobile devices that have any Flash support at all only support Flash Lite, which would still exclude most of the sites that employ Flash. Getting a mobile device--particularly an ARM-based mobile device to truly support Flash would be a nightmare. And even then, the limitations of a finger-gesture user interface would cause all sorts of problems for many Flash sites.

And all of that at what benefit to Apple? Adobe could pull the plug on Flash development for iPhone whenever it wanted, in order to give its own Flash-based mobile operating system (I.e Prada phone) the advantage.

Flv playback? Maybe. But full Flash support is just unlikely to happen. Personally, I hope Google and Apple kill Flash with Ajax and the next implementations of HTML and CSS.

No one owns the Web. And no one should.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I think it has less to do with partnerships and more with wanting to promote standards over proprietary formats that Apple doesn't own. Why help Adobe monopolize the web?

Besides, I think there's a world of difference between saying "Flash support" and what the real user experience of using Flash on a mobile device would be. Most mobile devices that have any Flash support at all only support Flash Lite, which would still exclude most of the sites that employ Flash. Getting a mobile device--particularly an ARM-based mobile device to truly support Flash would be a nightmare. And even then, the limitations of a finger-gesture user interface would cause all sorts of problems for many Flash sites.

And all of that at what benefit to Apple? Adobe could pull the plug on Flash development for iPhone whenever it wanted, in order to give its own Flash-based mobile operating system (I.e Prada phone) the advantage.

Flv playback? Maybe. But full Flash support is just unlikely to happen. Personally, I hope Google and Apple kill Flash with Ajax and the next implementations of HTML and CSS.

No one owns the Web. And no one should.

Read tech news much lately?

http://www.kaourantin.net/2007/08/wh...on-web_20.html
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mroberto1 View Post

I don't know about bribes, but I would point to lackluster flash support for Mac OS. Its an un-optimized mess. If watching youtube videos makes my macbook pro's fans go into overdrive, think about battery life on the iphone. no thanks.

David

http://davidwogan.us

UPDATE: this is pre flash with h.264, but I'm sure this one is just as good as the last
  • Reply 13 of 38
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    eh, what do i do with my new IBrick 1.0.2? did anyone at apple test this update??????

(just kidding...still downloading it).
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

If anything, that article proves my point. Adobe wants to take industry standard video and tie it to its proprietary Flash player. Not much different than what Microsoft did with Javascript and IE back in the 90s.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Addison View Post

What does it mean, it means they are trying to stop the hackers as hackers=instability...

Right and that is ALL Apple is concerned about.. the user. Hence, having us pay full price for a phone they refused to be allow the carrier to discount, and then still having the user locked in for 2 damn yrs to AT&T, so Apple can collect a percentage of revenue (rumored to be 10%).

Apple wants control over the apps, so they can control the revenue stream.

The user hardly benefits.

Go hackers!
  • Reply 16 of 38
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Right and that is ALL Apple is concerned about.. the user. Hence, having us pay full price for a phone they refused to be allow the carrier to discount, and then still having the user locked in for 2 damn yrs to AT&T, so Apple can collect a percentage of revenue (rumored to be 10%).

Go hackers!

Its been said many many time but just tends to be conviently ignored. The iPhone is cheaper than similar phones, for the real world. Given that Apple also negotiated a significantly lower data plan for the iPhone the 2-year cost of ownership is $60x24 + $600 = 2040. For a similar blackberry with the 'great discount' for a 2-year contract its $80x24 + $300 (but you pay tax on $500 list) = $2220. So you save $180 by buying the iPhone. And for that you don't even get the 'PUSH' e-mail.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Well, suprise... Flash=good from a Flash developer site.

Try these instead...

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...BBA7C7A85.html

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...87E6E861E.html
  • Reply 18 of 38
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Go hackers!

Yeah!!! Load up that iPhone with useless crapware and malware!!!
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Its been said many many time but just tends to be conviently ignored. The iPhone is cheaper than similar phones, for the real world. Given that Apple also negotiated a significantly lower data plan for the iPhone the 2-year cost of ownership is $60x24 + $600 = 2040. For a similar blackberry with the 'great discount' for a 2-year contract its $80x24 + $300 (but you pay tax on $500 list) = $2220. So you save $180 by buying the iPhone. And for that you don't even get the 'PUSH' e-mail.

Until my purchase of an iPhone, I purchased unlocked Nokia's and could go any where the hell I wanted based upon the cost and quality of service. The deal Apple has struck eliminated that option.

I have always had a Blackberry. This is my bag and my bag entirely. I purchased the iPhone knowing that I was locked in for 2 yrs to AT&T and their lousy service. I paid full retail. I had the option of not buying the iPhone.

Please, I'm not buying any crap about how Apple is now soley concerns about the stability and Job's absurd concerns about network security where 3rd party apps and hackers are concerned. My BBerry and Nokia never ever crashed from the time of purchase, And the iPhone crashes frequently so efforts to make the iPhone more stable are required and appropriate. Can't knock it even though I sit here steaming at the lack of certain SMS/IM functionality available on every phone I have ever had and need.

Like any good firm, Apple is motivated by profit, but they will deliver functionality that they determine is appropriate for the market consistent with balancing their profit motive and, most importnatly control over revenue streams with their partner. But they struck a deal that lines their pockets further, and saddled me with a poor data service and carrier for 2 years. Again, mea culpa. Caveat Emptor.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Until my purchase of an iPhone, I purchased unlocked Nokia's and could go any where the hell I wanted based upon the cost and quality of service.

You saying you could buy a phone and take it to Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, or T-Mobile?

Quote:

My BBerry and Nokia never ever crashed from the time of purchase, And the iPhone crashes frequently so efforts to make the iPhone more stable are required and appropriate.

This isn't a totally fair comparision. The only app I see crash frequently on the iPhone is Safari. Web broswers on the BB or Nokia are not displaying the full page with text, graphics, and pictures. So they are not even making the same effort that Safari is. If one of those phones had a browser that rendered the entire web page and never crashed then you would be saying something.