HOLY CRAP! My Bandwidth Just Increased Significantly!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As I was surfing the web, my cable modem went offline for about 30 seconds until it rebooted.

When everything came back online, I noticed that websites were loading very quickly. So I went to broadbandreports.com and speakeasy.net/speedtest to do some tests.

Turns out I'm getting 8 Mbps down and 1-1.2 Mbps upstream. I did a video chat with my Dad and I got the full 30 fps higher resolution video chat.

SWEET!

I wonder how long this will last.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Sweet. Enjoy it while it lasts. Right now since changing the craptastic DSL modems that come with our craptastic DSL service, I have gone from 800kbps peak to something like 1.3mbit/s peak. You "Westerners" would laugh at this, but hell, I'm paying US$13 per month, rated at 1mbit/sec promised speed. Using a Linksys DSL modem now. It rocks so far now in my suburb.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Linksys DSL modem was bout USD$30.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Sweet. Enjoy it while it lasts. Right now since changing the craptastic DSL modems that come with our craptastic DSL service, I have gone from 800kbps peak to something like 1.3mbit/s peak. You "Westerners" would laugh at this, but hell, I'm paying US$13 per month, rated at 1mbit/sec promised speed. Using a Linksys DSL modem now. It rocks so far now in my suburb.

Yeah, we're paying for 512 kbps DSL and after a recent failure of modem/line and the techies came out and fixed some stuff we've gone from about 500K downloads to a pretty constant 880 Can now watch most online vids (good quality) in real-time (loads as fast as it plays).
  • Reply 4 of 9
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    I love my 15MB down 2MB up
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Mostly, I'm rocking out on 7 MB/sec Verizon FIOSS. It's $40 a month, but it's awesome. Fiber rocks!!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by morrighu View Post

Mostly, I'm rocking out on 7 MB/sec Verizon FIOSS. It's $40 a month, but it's awesome. Fiber rocks!!

Same. FIOS is the cat's pajamas. (oh, Artman....!)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

jerk.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    My friend gets a whopping 24Kbps on his dial-up connection. Sucker!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

15211 kbps down, 1652 kbps up. Not bad.