Please help with reading CD/DVD's in boot camp??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am using boot camp and also use parallels and both systems are unable to read CD's and DVD's. I discovered this when I inserted a new mac drivers cd with the latest boot camp update and it would not auto-play. Then I when to my computer in windows and saw no disc icon to click on either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dorian

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    It sounds like your disc drive is not working.

1. Can you play ordinary music cds?

2. Can you open up specifically PC-CDROM/ PC-DVDROM discs?

3. I assume you can open MAC-DVDROM discs like your Apple Install discs
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hello,

Neither CD, DVD's or any other discs are able to be accessed within windows boot camp. However, the drive is working perfectly when in mac.

Please advise.

Dorian
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Please download the latest BootCamp 1.4. Make sure you re-burn the CD of BootCamp 1.4 drivers. Reinstall Windows. Try this and see if you have the same problem.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks for your reply, however, there must be plenty of other ways to solve this without rebooting the system.

No one wants to re-install windows again.

I tried to download the latest boot camp update and burn it to a cd but that didn't do any good because windows won't read the cd.

Any other suggestions you can give?

My DVD drive was working perfectly before, this is how I downloaded windows and the boot camp updates so I don't know what would have caused this happen.

let me know thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Hi, sorry, I am not sure at this stage through the forum whether I can help further. You'll probably have to check with your local Apple Store or Authorized Reseller/ Service Center. Good luck
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorian86 View Post

I tried to download the latest boot camp update and burn it to a cd but that didn't do any good because windows won't read the cd.

You can just copy the .exe off the CD and transfer it to Windows from the Mac side assuming you used FAT32 for the Bootcamp partition. If not, try a USB pen. You can find the file inside your Bootcamp application if you don't want to burn another CD. Just right-click Bootcamp.app, show package contents, go to resources and there is a .dmg image, mount it and copy the .exe installer.

You can also try getting drivers automatically. In Windows, you right-click and choose properties and then there is something in there for updating the driver. Windows has trouble recognising my external firewire DVD burner and I have to do this regularly - I tend to not use it under Windows because of this. The Mac internal drive should just need updated once but I'd go with the Bootcamp drivers first.