Powering up Macbook pro from external monitor?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Macbook Pro 2.4, 4 gigs ram, 7200 rpm HD 160 Gig, etc The latest and bestus, lol. However unlike my Powerbook G4 it wont start up from the power button on the 23" external Mac monitor? I called Apple and they said because they switched to the mini-DVI connector the monitor is no longer compatable for starting up my Macbook Pro So in the morning I have to unhook USB cables and the DVI cable to slide the lap top from under my monitor, open the lap top and press the power key, colse it again and hook all the connections up again, for the monitor to work???? I thought Apple was better than this, how inconvinient.

I was told there is a way of booting the computer via the external keyboard, this would be a fix to my problem if you know how. I was also told there maybe a DVI to Mini DVI connector I could buy but I haven't seen one.......PLEASE HELP

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Why not just put the Mac to sleep instead of shutting it down. You should then be able to wake it from the keyboard.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    agreed.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I too 'am looking for a similar solution. I have modified my desk to mount the laptop underneath, since I'm still unlucky enough to own a 19" CRT monitor. I was thinking of possibly getting an older G3/G4 USB keyboard with power button... but I don't know if that would work. Does anyone know? This is kind of a sad thing, especially when cheap PCs can do this function.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rexigrowl View Post

HSo in the morning I have to unhook USB cables and the DVI cable to slide the lap top from under my monitor, open the lap top and press the power key, colse it again and hook all the connections up again, for the monitor to work???? I thought Apple was better than this, how inconvinient.

I really wouldn't recommend running a laptop like that in such confined conditions - both with the lid shut or just slightly open and under your display. Those processors are fast and they heat up a lot so they need good air circulation to keep cool.

What Apple do need to do though is start putting power keys back on their keyboards. Those buttons were so useful.