NJ Teen Unlocks IPhone From AT&T Network

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New York Times Article:

Quote:

A 17-year-old hacker has broken the lock that ties Apple's iPhone to AT&T's wireless network, freeing the most hyped cell phone ever for use on the networks of other carriers, including overseas ones.

George Hotz of Glen Rock, N.J., confirmed Friday that he had unlocked an iPhone and was using it on T-Mobile's network, the only major U.S. carrier apart from AT&T that is compatible with the iPhone's cellular technology. In a video posted to his blog, he holds an iPhone that displays ''T-Mobile'' as the carrier.

While the possibility of switching from AT&T to T-Mobile may not be a major development for U.S. consumers, it opens up the iPhone for use on the networks of overseas carriers.

''That's the big thing,'' said Hotz, in a phone interview from his home.

The phone, which combines an innovative touch-screen interface with the media-playing abilities of the iPod, is sold only in the U.S.

AT&T Inc. spokesman Mark Siegel said the company had no comment, and referred questions to Apple. A call to Apple was not immediately returned. Hotz said the companies had not been in touch with him.

The hack, which Hotz posted Thursday to his blog, is complicated and requires skill with both soldering and software. It takes him about two hours to perform. Since the details are public, it seems likely that a small industry may spring up to buy U.S. iPhones, unlock them and send them overseas.

Original blog post that contains the instructions

He's also auctioning the hacked iPhone on Ebay

And he'll be on NPR's Marketwatch

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Isn't there some utility that can be used to change the carrier image in the iPhone's corner? This kid might be a fraud.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple needs to hire that kid posthaste!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Not saying he didn't do it... but why has nobody mentioned that this could just as easily been a video fake?

Capture the video out on the iphone. Doctor it up. Load it on a real working iphone. Play the video. 'Magically' it says T-Mobile, because he's watching a full screen video.

He 'pretends' to call himself and his buddy offcamera calls his home phone. You never see the phone truely responding to touches in a way that I believe. With 3 or 4 rehersals and a long weekend I could do the same thing and I'm an amature video editor.

Then he ejects the sim card which is doing nothing. To be *REAL* convincing... he should have called himself, then held the phone up to the mic on the camera and let you hear the audio play through the house phone as he talks so you could hear the dual audio. That too could be faked but would take more them then he has to spend.

Or I could be wrong and the dork unlocked the phone. (not that I care either way, wtf would I want to do that anyway?)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    if AT&T does not get their act together we should be happy this kid exists! If indeed he broke the AT&T hold, it could be very interesting.

Additionally, either you give the market what it desires or someone else will provide it. I love Apple and the iPhone but I most love devices and what they can do for me.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I almost wonder if AAPL stock jumped as much as it did on this news... good as any explanation.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I hope somebody hacks the iPhone so that when you end your at&t service, you can still use the iPod part of it. Otherwise, it'll just end up an expensive brick.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,343moderator
    $50,000+?? They can't be serious bids. Why would anyone possibly pay that when it is far more expensive that probably all the bills you'd have with AT&T for a number of years? Unless you use their data access abroad of course and then you'd run that up in about a couple of weeks.

Where's the video btw?