SEVERE overheating problems with mac pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think ive narrowed down the cause of all my crashes to overheating...The problem is i don't understand why im overheating, im running my computer in a cool room with plenty of ventilation, I havnt over clocked. don't get whats up/ I was just sitting on my computer before and all of a sudden my monitor gets a "no signal" this has happened about 20 times since i got the computer 3 days ago. I just installed a temp monitor widget so im gonna monitor it and see what happens. any ideas on why im crashing so much?

also, after i crash i cant just turn the computer on and off. I tried to turn it on/ off about 5 times

I get the apple jingle when it restarts but i still have no signal on my monitor. aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

P.S....its a brand new mac pro from the online apple store. 1900xt 2x 2.66 duos, 4gb ram, 500 gb 7200 rpm HD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Call Apple and exchange it. Problem solved.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    PS

This belongs in the Genius section.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

PS

This belongs in the Genius section.

I could have sworn I posted it there. I dont really want to go to the apple store, my dad took his macbook in last week and they stole 1 gig of ram and replaced his processor with a slower one.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Yes, but obviously everything that you've been through with this new machine is easily reproduced, right?. You should take it in and ask for a complete replacement. Unfortunately, you were unlucky and seemed to have gotten a lemon. None of these things you've been experiencing are normal for a Mac or OSX.

Take it back and have the entire thing replaced.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

I could have sworn I posted it there. I dont really want to go to the apple store, my dad took his macbook in last week and they stole 1 gig of ram and replaced his processor with a slower one.

Go to a different Apple Store or Apple Premium Reseller or Apple Authorized Reseller in your area. There should be several around in your city.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:

then your dad is a complete flake if he let them do that.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

then your dad is a complete flake if he let them do that.

He didn't. He got it replaced, and for free.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yes, but obviously everything that you've been through with this new machine is easily reproduced, right?. You should take it in and ask for a complete replacement. Unfortunately, you were unlucky and seemed to have gotten a lemon. None of these things you've been experiencing are normal for a Mac or OSX.

Take it back and have the entire thing replaced.

easier said than done, I already transfered a ton data from my windows pc ( which was no easy task because the mac networking options failed to work) and downloaded a ton of software ( about 20 gigs worth). Id rather find out whats wrong and fix that instead of replacing the whole thing.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Id rather find out whats wrong and fix that instead of replacing the whole thing.

No you really don't. No mac pro we have acts like that and a couple has quite a few vid cards (2-3) driving our "video wall". These are the 3Ghz jobbies too I think. The only thing that overheats is my Rev A MBP and it doesn't flake out.

Get a $80 external drive from CompUSA (320GB Maxtor), move your stuff and swap the machine as soon as you can.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    If you aren't lying to an extreme degree, which seems likely given the string of very implausible events you've claimed to have experienced (via multiple threads), then you have a major lemon, so return it. That doesn't seem hard to me.

There's just too much bullshit in here to wade through. I'm surprised you haven't been banned yet.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

If you aren't lying to an extreme degree, which seems likely given the string of very implausible events you've claimed to have experienced (via multiple threads), then you have a major lemon, so return it. That doesn't seem hard to me.

There's just too much bullshit in here to wade through. I'm surprised you haven't been banned yet.

Im not lying....this is really stressful because Im leaving for school tomorrow and I feel like the mac store is gonna keep my stuff overnight....aghhhh. I dont know whats up though...ill go away from my computer and come back an hour later and move the mouse and it wont come out from monitor sleep. ( no the system doesn't go into standby i disabled that). I also ran the disk check utility and it said everything was ok.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Im not lying....this is really stressful because Im leaving for school tomorrow and I feel like the mac store is gonna keep my stuff overnight....aghhhh. I dont know whats up though...ill go away from my computer and come back an hour later and move the mouse and it wont come out from monitor sleep. ( no the system doesn't go into standby i disabled that). I also ran the disk check utility and it said everything was ok.

If it is overheating like a few Mac Pro owners with X1900XT cards note, try installing SMC fan control and increase the minimum fan speed. Normally they note this after a longer time of owning the machine though - if its doing this so soon after buying it, you should probably get it checked out.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

There are many Apple Stores.