VLC media player?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i just got a macbook a couple of days ago and im having some trouble finding a VLC player that works. i googled it and downloaded a couple of versions but none of them seem to work. I believe the problem is that im downloading the wrong version for my computer so if anyone knows what version of VLC works with a macbook i would appreciate the info...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I deinstalled VLC because it crashed a lot, and mPlayer also didn't work that well. I ended up with a bunch of quicktime plugins instead.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    i use it to watch stream videos so if anyone knows a better application that be great...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heikkir View Post

i just got a macbook a couple of days ago and im having some trouble finding a VLC player that works. i googled it and downloaded a couple of versions but none of them seem to work. I believe the problem is that im downloading the wrong version for my computer so if anyone knows what version of VLC works with a macbook i would appreciate the info...

hi, i never had any troubles with vlc on any of my macs so far. i'm not sure about the intel/universal versions. you find the latest version of it on www.versiontracker.com (just search for vlc) or try this link

http://tc.versiontracker.com/product.../1112909/vlc-0
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I'm running it on an intel iMac ... version 0.8.6a... and experience no problems... (OSX 10.4.10) ... it should run the same on ANY intel Mac running that version of OSX...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I tend to run the latest, 0.8.6c right now. I don't remember it crashing other than recently when I've been stress testing my computer with H.264 HD video. It doesn't have great H.264 decoding yet.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

It doesn't have great H.264 decoding yet.

Nope, it only uses one processor core for h264 which is why it can't play 1080p files yet. Bummer :-(
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

Nope, it only uses one processor core for h264 which is why it can't play 1080p files yet. Bummer :-(

A fast desktop could. Apple doesn't sell one.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

A fast desktop could. Apple doesn't sell one.

So now even inefficient coding is a reason for a minitower

Man, trust me, I am so bad at programming I can whip up some code that would grind down your "fast desktop" in no time (provided it will actually run, that is...)

• Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heikkir View Post

here look here

http://www.videolan.org/
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

So now even inefficient coding is a reason for a minitower

Yes. Yes it is.

Using brute force to solve problems is more common in businesses, because they literally put a value on the time it would take for someone to solve the problem more elegantly (with less power). I need to run software X to further my core business. It's far too slow to run. Then, do I buy a new fast computer, or assign a very expensive engineer to attempt improvements in software?

If you want, you can think the same way for personal projects and problems. In this particular problem of slow codec, I believe brute force would definitely work. Core 2 Duo E6750 would go through H.264 1080p like a hot knife through butter, and it isn't even a very expensive processor. A slower dualcore Core 2 Duo overclocked would likewise.