Windows Genuine Disadvantage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ars is reporting a major FUBAR associated with validation of your copy of vista and xp associated with the windows genuine advantage program. I don't know much about WGA but apparently users can get their copies of vista or xp 'validated'. In some instances some functionality of the OS is lost if the system isn't validated.

I'm some glad I deal with windows less and less. Come on Apple, release a good version of Leopard. Now is a great time to attract disgruntled windows users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I experienced Vista for the first time today.

Good God, was it awful. The apple commercial wasn't exaggerating with the whole 'cancel or allow' thing. It was the most frustrating experience. I guess I'd get used to and maybe even prefer it to XP if I used it enough, but wow, what a horrible first impression.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    All I have to say as a sometime XP user is, avoid WGA like the plague. Not only can it do bad things to your system, it's one step removed from a rootkit. Well, maybe half a step.

• Reply 3 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Good God, was it awful. The apple commercial wasn't exaggerating with the whole 'cancel or allow' thing. It was the most frustrating experience. I guess I'd get used to and maybe even prefer it to XP if I used it enough, but wow, what a horrible first impression.

Yup. Even if you used Vista a lot, after a while you'd probably put it in the bin and go back to XP2Pro. I did.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

All I have to say as a sometime XP user is, avoid WGA like the plague. Not only can it do bad things to your system, it's one step removed from a rootkit. Well, maybe half a step.

And guess how many of the, ahem, backup community have been affected by this problem?

None. They use the business XP Professional, which has full features and no activation. What good is it to anyone when Microsoft puts protection measures on the poorest version and leaves them out of the best version?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

you know you can disable that...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

And guess how many of the, ahem, backup community have been affected by this problem?

None. They use the business XP Professional, which has full features and no activation. What good is it to anyone when Microsoft puts protection measures on the poorest version and leaves them out of the best version?

Another reason I prefer OSX, only one version with everything on it, and reasonably priced.