Safari Adoption

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It's interesting to see the differences in polls on <a href="http://www.macpolls.com"; target="_blank">macpolls.com</a> with regard to browser usage before and after Safari...

<a href="http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=34"; target="_blank">Before Safari</a>.

<a href="http://www.macpolls.com/index.php"; target="_blank">After Safari</a>.

It looks almost as if OmniWeb and Netscape have been reduced to the marketshare of the likes of iCab...while IE and Chimera took pretty severe hits but still have a small stake.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    IE has the advantage of being the default browser, so the number of people who just set up their machine and ran it will still use it. Also, there are still a certain number of IE-specific sites out there, and there are even a couple of things that IE apparently does well? De gustibus non disputandem est.

The alternative browsers are the ones that got whacked. I noticed that CyberDog plummeted off the map post-Safari - there must have been some people who were going to use an Apple browser, by God, even if they had to wait the better part of a decade.

I expect OW usage to spike once OW 5 comes out and its display engine no longer sucks (as far as standards compliance and speed go) - especially if OmniGroup adopts WebCore underneath. Netscape, I think, has been permanently supplanted, given that its rendering engine is no longer worth the painfulness of its interface, and its future looks gloomy now. Chimera and its ilk I expect to do well, since they're based on Gecko and much leaner than Netscape.

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I agree about OW5, I used it before because of the interface, features, and rendering (when it worked, it looked nicer than any other browser around.)

Safari renders with equal beauty, and much greater speed, even if it's not as feature-rich. Should OmniGroup impliment WebCore, I'm sold on OW5.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i think that if safari added some special features that apple knows how to create, it would be interesting to see them eventually port it over to some other OS's and see how it does
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>i think that if safari added some special features that apple knows how to create, it would be interesting to see them eventually port it over to some other OS's and see how it does</strong><hr></blockquote>

If they go this route, I hope they don't wait as long as they did with releasing the windows version of the iPod ... they should strike while the irons hot, and release a windows version with the final. Unless Apple truely believes people will pay twice the price for a computer, simply because the browser rocks.

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: the cool gut ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by the cool gut:

<strong>

If they go this route, I hope they don't wait as long as they did with releasing the windows version of the iPod ... they should strike while the irons hot, and release a windows version with the final. Unless Apple truely believes people will pay twice the price for a computer, simply because the browser rocks.

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: the cool gut ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

well i think they should have done this with itunes too, but i guess apple doesn't feel this way...i just think that any apple can get from windows users and see how good the software is
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>

The alternative browsers are the ones that got whacked. I noticed that CyberDog plummeted off the map post-Safari - there must have been some people who were going to use an Apple browser, by God, even if they had to wait the better part of a decade.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I used CyberDog until Safari
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Barto said:

[quote] I used CyberDog until Safari <hr></blockquote>

I have to see some SCREENSHOTS of that!!!