Question: Are dell (or other) C2D laptops as hot and noisy as MBP's with C2D chips?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Since Dell and other laptops use the C2D chips from Intel, do they also get hot and are the fans noisy like they are on the MBP's?

Just curious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Since Dell and other laptops use the C2D chips from Intel, do they also get hot and are the fans noisy like they are on the MBP's?

Just curious.

I think they are probably as bad. Bad is relative though. My MBP C2D is fine...a little warm at times, but not loud. Compared to my 1.25GHZ PB I had....it's way better. My girlfriend has a Dell (no idea...it's a desktop replacement type machine, about 3 years old) that is a loud, hot monster.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I think they are probably as bad. Bad is relative though. My MBP C2D is fine...a little warm at times, but not loud. Compared to my 1.25GHZ PB I had....it's way better. My girlfriend has a Dell (no idea...it's a desktop replacement type machine, about 3 years old) that is a loud, hot monster.

Well, my fans aren't loud but that is also relative. My wife asked me the other day what that noise was and I told her it was the fans (she was watching TV about 15' away).

As far as getting warm, my MPB used to run around 40-45C when just using Safari but I just now noticed (10 minutes ago, I installed the latest airport update due to 3 kernel panics in 1 month), I'm now running about 50-52C. But the fans aren't on and I am almost certain that they turned on around this temp before the airport update. I have no idea what is going on.

As far as the machine, so far I love it. It's my first new mac since about 1998 and it replaces a 450MHz single processor g4. This thing also boots up in about 20 to 25 seconds. I swear that G4 seemed like it took about minute and a half...

Thanks for the reply. I'm just looking to see if other laptops with the same CPU's are hot and somewhat loud like these.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I strongly believe your current experience is not typical of MBP or MacBook Core 2 Duo models.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I strongly believe your current experience is not typical of MBP or MacBook Core 2 Duo models.

[Irony]Mine is never noisy unless I make it be through SMCFC. Which is because it's very hot. Which is because by default the fans are on very low RPM and therefore very quiet.[/Irony]

I think that the dells, HPs, etc. that would use these chips have their fans run more which would make them louder and cooler, and they also have better ventilation on the bottom, which makes them look less streamlined and sexy, which is a lot of what  is about.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Most of the time when I'm browsing the web, it's quiet and runs around 43C (although I noticed that a recent airport update *seems* to have made it run a little hotter). And I was alert enough to check many of the MBP's at Apple's store to see how hot to the touch they got and mine seems to be about the same.

It only gets noisy when it gets around 55-60C.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    You guys must be running much more demanding applications than I am. I browse the web and play WOW, and my fans never are noticeable. I have them set at 3163 rpm, and they stay there.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

......It's my first new mac since about 1998 and it replaces a 450MHz single processor g4. This thing also boots up in about 20 to 25 seconds. I swear that G4 seemed like it took about minute and a half...

Did your G4 have OS 10.4 Tiger installed? I have a G4 466 Digital Audio and on Jaguar 10.2 it used to take forever to load. I would turn it on and go out and get the newspaper and it still would be loading when I came back. Since I upgraded to Tiger, 30 to 45 seconds it loads and is ready to go.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My C2D MBP can get a little toasty. Fan noise is low though. When I run cinebench I'm able to get the fans to go crazy and then you can hear them. I also have a p4 compaq notebook at work and the fans run constantly and are MUCH louder. No comparison there.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Did your G4 have OS 10.4 Tiger installed? I have a G4 466 Digital Audio and on Jaguar 10.2 it used to take forever to load. I would turn it on and go out and get the newspaper and it still would be loading when I came back. Since I upgraded to Tiger, 30 to 45 seconds it loads and is ready to go.

Yes, it had 10.4.x.

35 to 40 seconds is fast for that machine. But it isn't much faster than my 450MHz sawtooth, don't know why it took so long to boot up.