does it make sense to buy older versus newer?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've always been buying new updated hardware as I believe that with technology you go forward, not backward. I am switching from Windows and was already to buy the new 24-inch iMac. I love all-in-one form factor because I dislike clutter. But as it stands, I cannot tolerate the glare on the new iMac screen and seriously considering buying the previous iMac (all white). Either that or the new Mac Mini and 23" ADC, but here, we're talking cables. I need opinions as to this "going backward" makes any sense. Thanks all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    If you buy the white iMac, it comes with a better keyboard.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neptune View Post

I've always been buying new updated hardware as I believe that with technology you go forward, not backward. I am switching from Windows and was already to buy the new 24-inch iMac. I love all-in-one form factor because I dislike clutter. But as it stands, I cannot tolerate the glare on the new iMac screen and seriously considering buying the previous iMac (all white). Either that or the new Mac Mini and 23" ADC, but here, we're talking cables. I need opinions as to this "going backward" makes any sense. Thanks all.

I don't think it's a problem at all if you prefer the screen of the old iMac. It's processor is more than capable and will run Leopard just fine.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Better graphics on the old 24" too.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Pick up the older one at a discount too. ...It's quite alright.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    1) Surprisingly, I have not found any "discount" or "bargain" for the old iMac, either online or locally. I've seen $1600 to $1700, new, of course. Apple has some refurbished, but not ready to ship them soon. The local Micro Center sold all of them. There must be a high demand due to the glossy screen issue. The lowest I found is from Provantage for $1610.

2) Any know issues with the old iMac I should know about? fan noise? humming? etc.

Many thanks!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

1) Surprisingly, I have not found any "discount" or "bargain" for the old iMac, either online or locally.... There must be a high demand ...

That's why we said get the "older" one as soon as possible

Quote:

Any know issues with the old iMac I should know about? fan noise? humming? etc. Many thanks!

Honestly, not that I know of. 20" and 24" have nice matte, bright screens... Core2Duo is fairly cool running, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

1) Surprisingly, I have not found any "discount" or "bargain" for the old iMac, either online or locally. I've seen $1600 to $1700, new, of course.

After seeing the new 'mirror-like' Imac in the shop and experiencing the TN panel I bought a white 20" 2.16Ghz with 256mb vram and wireless keyboard and mouse from an internet shop last week for about the price of the bare new 20" (1220 Euros). Good deal, saving me a couple of hundred euro's. Excellent machine, good keyboard and no mirror effect!

After a couple of day's using it I wonder why I didn't make the switch from Windows XP years ago!

Quote:

12) Any know issues with the old iMac I should know about? fan noise? humming? etc.

On my white 20" there is only a slight hum presumably from the hard drive fan (1400 rpm). Seems to be louder than last week though. I'm keeping a close watch on it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

After a couple of day's using it I wonder why I didn't make the switch from Windows XP years ago!

I've been reading up on Mac's basics and looking forward to trying it out when my 24" white iMac gets here today! Will probably ending up feeling the same as you do.