Latest release of Leopard-Review

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I downloaded and installed the latest release of Leopard this weekend and Apple has a lot of work to do if it is to go gold in the next 3-4 weeks. Mail keeps on crashing when I try and send mail using the stationary templates and it seems to have slowed my 2.33 Mghz mac down considerably. The only program that I found to be incompatible with Leopard was Spam Sieve.

The welcome video is now completed and runs during the first setup. There are a number of new screen savers as well as desktop images. The finder is greatly improved and to use spotlight one has to index your hard drive which can take up to 20 minutes.

This is the most stable of all the releases but there are still some bugs. Safari for example would not allow me to order anything from Amazon using my one click settings and once in a while it will unexpectidly quit and close with the "send report to Apple". Still I think the Otober date will be met as the developers work OT to get the bug out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    What I would really be interested in is a more exact idea of a release date.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    It takes 4 weeks from when they go gold to get out of the factory..my guess right now would be late October
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Four weeks???!!! Are you kidding? That means they'd have to go gold in a few days...I don't think so. Max one week I would say, they will even likely start manufacturing boxes/instructions etc before it goes gold (ie from the time they halt development/interface changes with the last few releases being for bugs and showstoppers only), then they send it to the factory to burn baby burn by the thousand!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post

It takes 4 weeks from when they go gold to get out of the factory..my guess right now would be late October

• Reply 4 of 6
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    "Released" can have two meanings:
    1. It could mean going GM giving Apple until the end of October to let manufacturers know "It's a go!"

2. It could mean walking into an Apple store and taking it off the shelf.

I think Apple will go with the first meaning, and Leopard will be on the shelves by 'Black Friday' which gives then until mid-October to get it GM quality. I also expect Best Buy to have at least one shelf containing Mac OS X and other Mac software, if they don't already have it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Four weeks???!!! Are you kidding? That means they'd have to go gold in a few days...I don't think so. Max one week I would say, they will even likely start manufacturing boxes/instructions etc before it goes gold (ie from the time they halt development/interface changes with the last few releases being for bugs and showstoppers only), then they send it to the factory to burn baby burn by the thousand!

Nah, they have about about 3-4 weeks.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Check out the detail these guys put into it - and the clever (har har) attitude...

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/...finder020.html