USB 2 port behaving as 1.1

emeeme
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I have a Macbook 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo supposedly with two USB 2.0 ports, but i'm starting to feel they are running at 1.1 speeds.

To my knowledge USB 2 devices should work at around 480Mbits/s (60MB/s) and 1.1 at 12Mbits/s (1.5MB/s).

I have an iPod Shuffle with 1GB and it takes around 6 minutes to transfers 850 MB and about 4 minutes if i try to transfer a ~700MB file.

So my question is how much time does it take for you to trasfer ~800 MB to a usb 2 device?

Or how much time it takes to fill your iPod Shuffle?

And if it is behaving as 1.1 anyone knows how to fix it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eme View Post

Hi all,

I have a Macbook 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo supposedly with two USB 2.0 ports, but i'm starting to feel they are running at 1.1 speeds.

To my knowledge USB 2 devices should work at around 480Mbits/s (60MB/s) and 1.1 at 12Mbits/s (1.5MB/s).

I have an iPod Shuffle with 1GB and it takes around 6 minutes to transfers 850 MB and about 4 minutes if i try to transfer a ~700MB file.

So my question is how much time does it take for you to trasfer ~800 MB to a usb 2 device?

Or how much time it takes to fill your iPod Shuffle?

And if it is behaving as 1.1 anyone knows how to fix it?

If it was behaving as USB 1.1, it would take about 45 minutes to fill your iPod. That being said, USB has never performed as fast as it is supposedly rated, much like Wi-Fi.

*ahem*

FireWire, for the win.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    emeeme Posts: 55member
    Yes it seems it's having normal behaviour, i'm going to try testing my shuffle with other computers