Shares of Apple rise on Goldman recommendation

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Shares of gadget maker Apple Inc. rose $5.08 or more than 4.0 percent early Wednesday morning after investment bank Goldman Sachs issued a research note to clients, recommending they stock up on the company's shares ahead of next weeks' planned media event.

"Coming at least a week ahead of our expectations, the almost certain launch of a new family of iPods next Wednesday, September 5th, creates another opportunity for upside in the back half of the year and provides another reason to own Apple shares," analyst David Bailey explained.

Bailey said Apple's product announcements are likely to include a full line-up of revamped iPods with significantly greater functionality at current price points, including the much-anticipated full screen video iPod.

Early indications coming from the analyst's supply chain checks lead him to believe that the new full screen video iPod will be capable of fueling an accelerated upgrade cycle on the part of consumers, which could create upside to his 10.5 million and 19.8 million iPod unit sales estimates for the September and December quarters, respectively.

In the meantime, he said, Apple's redesigned iMac, stronger-than-expected retail traffic, a virtually complete revitalization in education, and the impact of Adobe?s CS3 in the commercial space should continue to drive robust Mac sales and higher market share.

"Together, we see the Mac and iPod product cycles as strong enough to generate higher volumes and upside to our current earnings estimates," Bailey wrote. "As its product cycle story unfolds, we continue to recommend that investors buy Apple shares, especially on company-specific or broader market pullbacks, as new product announcements and higher earnings should keep the stock moving toward our $165 12-month price target."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    gadget maker?... oh please
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jpmukjpmuk Posts: 19member
    "Gadget maker Apple" ???

Not sure I'm liking that...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Perhaps they're going to announce changing the name from Apple Inc to Apple Gadgets Inc?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmuk View Post

"Gadget maker Apple" ???

Not sure I'm liking that...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Perhaps they're going to announce changing the name from Apple Inc to Apple Gadgets Inc?

Too funny!

AI, you never get old.

-Clive
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ...or they could just re-brand as Apple Widgets, Inc.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Get used to it......

If you're a Mac user: \

If you're a shareholder:
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Get used to it......

If you're a Mac user: \

If you're a shareholder:

I own the stock also GE the toaster oven maker.

m
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Sorry but I have to join in... Gadget maker!? I feel sick to my stomach. Since when did gadgets lead the path of innovation in technology? What's next, Apple's iPocket Fisherman. I mean seriously, who wrote that?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

I own the stock also GE the toaster oven maker.

m

Gee, perhaps you can save the time spent on the sarcasm, and spend it instead on looking up a decent dictionary?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    And perhaps you should stop being a fun buster!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Gee, perhaps you can save the time spent on the sarcasm, and spend it instead on looking up a decent dictionary?

• Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psionic001 View Post

And perhaps you should stop being a fun buster!

And, I guess you (as well as mstone) missed the at the end of my post....