iPhone Software Updates: Free or Not?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
So, when Apple finally releases software updates for the iPhone (not bug fixes) that incorporate voice dialing, ring tones, etc., do you think there will be a charge for these updates?

I wonder if Apple views these updates similar to updating from Tiger to Leopard, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I can guarantee they won't be charging for new features by simple software updates. If they even attempted to, then the 10 megabyte updates would be all over the internet in no time. They might charge for specific features, like games or new apps (iLife Mobile for example), but they can't possibly justify charging 1.99 or 5.99... for bug fixes and tweaks.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The future addition of new features is precisely why they're taking the income from iPhone sales on 'subscription' and spreading it out over, IIRC, two years, in their accounting. SOX and all that. Remember the fiasco about them charging for 802.11n unlocking, but they claimed it was due to SOX? Well, this gets around that completely. You don't get charged $, they don't get charged by the SEC. Everyone wins.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    At first I was sure updates with new features would be free. But the latest announcement of paying for ringtones gives me pause...

I really, really hope Apple does not charge - even nominally - for new features, widgets, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felix E. Martinez View Post

At first I was sure updates with new features would be free. But the latest announcement of paying for ringtones gives me pause...

I really, really hope Apple does not charge - even nominally - for new features, widgets, etc.

They're charging for the ringtones (maybe, and maybe not ALL ringtones) because there are copyright issues. They are NOT charging for the ability to add new ringtones (the actual new feature)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Dear all:

Steve said all updates and developments for the iPhone AND Apple TV will be free. That assumes of course that the iPhone and Apple TV hardware does not prevent certain aspects of the updates...