when you're (new) ram acts dodgy?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
recently got 2*2gb sticks for my new imac from OWC and they were running fine, but last night things started going strange and the machine was resetting and finally wouldn't start up (3 beeps). this evening i took out the memory, tried some other sticks and then eventually put the 4gb back in and now it seems to be running again. i just ran one loop of memtest and the test came out ok although i plan to leave it on infinite loop overnight.

i was wondering what people would suggest in this situation. seeing as i've already had one instance of the ram dying on me, should that be enough for me to send it right back?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    It may have just been badly seated... Run the memtest though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Agreed - if it stopped working, and pulling it and putting it back in makes it work again... almost certainly a seating problem. I had a SIMM slot crack in an old IIcx back in the day, though, so watch out for that fun happening.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    well i left it running on remtest last night and it successfully completed 24 loops. i guess i should therefore put down sunday's experience as a freakish event?